SOLVED Internet issues

Reaction score
When on the internet, its just so slow. Otherwise my computer is fast. When going to a new site, the bar at the bottom stops just before its completed, almost everytime. Then I go to the refresh button and most of the time that helps, sometimes not. Any ideas? I have a fast computer with 8 gigs of mem.

Reaction score
Does it happen on every site you visit? Which browser are you using. Is this something you've just noticed happening?
What sort of internet connection do you have?
Have you changed any browser setting recently, any new anti-virus or firewall programs installed or setting s changed?

Reaction score
internet

It happens just about everytime, am using Firefox, I have a fiber connection. No new av changes

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What bandwidth have you contracted with your ISP? What anti-virus? what firewall?

I use a product called TCPView to see what ports and protocols are in use on my system. Maybe check for background updates such as windows updates, media center tv guide, application updates.

Reaction score
Ok,These are the things I'd be trying first.
Temporarily disable any plug-in/add ons you have loaded into Firefox then see how that goes. If it makes a difference then one by one reactivate them to see if you can find one causing a slow down.
Try another browser, they are all free to download see if that works any faster.

I'm not familier with fibre connections as we don't have them here but I assume you still use some type of modem. You could try just cycling the modem by powering it down for a few minutes then turning back on again, that sometimes re-sets them.
See how you go with all that.

Reaction score
internet

Hi, I think I know what the problem is, just not sure how to fix it, dropping packets. I bought a new router and maybe that is the problem. I have the latest firmware updates. What I did is go back to my old router. At this time it seems to work better. I guess only time will tell

Reaction score
Drivhardd,

I've been having the exact same issue, but I'm wondering if it could be a combination of inconsistent bandwidth from Verizon DSL (the Versalink firmware they provide with their Westell routers is frustrating to tweak, as many settings cannot be changed from their default values) along with Firefox browser problems. Ever since I upgraded to 3.6.8 I've noticed the weird bottleneck problem that you described. Pages start to load quickly, then stop just short of completion.

Reaction score
Nibiru,

I checked out the site that you recommended and downloaded the SG TCP Optimizer. To be safe (rather than sorry later) I made a backup of my default settings, then allowed the program to automatically optimize them, just to see if there was any noticeable difference afterwards. I may try to manually tweak both the RWIN and MTU settings later.

I'm happy to report that there seems to be better data flow .. for now. I know that most of the connectivity issues still lie on Verizon's end, as an inconsistent signal from my provider is still the crux of the problem, regardless of whatever tweaks may be applied to help improve it.

Thank you for the recommendation. It seems to have helped some.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I did was totally deleted Mozilla and reinstalled it. Works fine now.I think plugins was the problem. Do not use them unless totally necessary. And if you do, keep notes on which ones. If problems develope, disable them or delete them. Think every thing will be just fine

Ask a Question