Install Windows 7 after XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have Windows XP installed in my PC.After that I tried to install Windows 7.But after the Win7 installation I am not getting any OS selection option at startup.The PC boot into Win 7 directly.

I tried EasyBCD.I tried to create an entry for Win XP .Then it showed a NTDETECT error.Then I downloaded the NTLDR files and extracted to the root of the drive.Thus I created an entry for XP.

After the reboot I got an OS selection screen.But when I tried to select the Win XP option, I am getting the error message "Invalid Boot.ini/NTDETECT Failed"

What should I do ?

Reaction score
Hey, this error is very common when you try and dual boot operating systems.
It could be one of 2 things, or both;
first is that XP cant find the NTdetect file so you need to redo this.
Or the boot.ini is missing or corrupted, so you need to rebuild this.
The only way you can do this, is if you have a disk of XP. follow the steps featured in the link below, they will help you so much, they did for me. :)

The first link is for the rebuilding of the boot.ini file
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;330184&x=7&y=16

Reaction score
I hope you realize this thread is nearly three years old and was created during Windows 7 Beta time frame

I'm closing the thread, if anyone needs further assistance with this topic, please feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question