Icon error in my computer

Reaction score
I want to know if there is any way to fix this (see attachment) under win 7 x64 sp1 or a third party software. I was adding a drive but it failed so I removed it now I get thin in "My Computer" I have done a file system check and disk check (C:/ drive) but still see corrupted icons. Please advise, TIA

Attachments

Reaction score
In Safe Mode run a full virus scan, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free version www.malwarebytes.org and SUPERAntiSpyware free www.SUPERAntiSpyware.com . Remove any threats that they find. Then in Safe Mode, put your Windows 7 dvd in, click start, type command and right-click on Command Prompt, click on Run As Administartor and type in SFC /scannow and hit enter. After that runs open Computer, right-click on your C: drive, click on Properties, Tools, Check Now, click both boxes, click on Start, click on Yes and restart your pc and let Check Disk run.

Reaction score
It all depends on your hard drive size and the amoubt of information on your hard drives. Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware and \SFC /scannow are all pretty fast. For Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware running full scan's with eaxh on my pc takes around 20 minutes for each. SFC /scannow is usually around 5-7 minutes tops. Check Disk is the slow one. On a 1.0 TB. hard drive expect 3 1/2 hours. If you've got a 120-128 GB. ssd expect 7-10 minutes. 200 GB hard drive 45 minutes to an hour. While Check Disk runs go do something else for a while. If it's a notebook, make sure it's plugged in while doing all this. Also, make sure all definitions are updated first in regular Windows, then go into safe Mode.

Reaction score
Well you have a 150-152 GB. hard drive. Check Disk will take at least 45+ minutes on it. Make sure you follow the steps I listed above in that order after updating the defintions for your antivirus software, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. Then bott into Safe Mode and run full scans with each and remove any threats they found. You'll have restarts in this process with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. After the restarts, reboot into Safe Mode for the next one. When they're done go back into Safe Mode, put your Windows 7 dvd in, but don't let it run. Run SFC /scannow. When it's done. remove your Windows 7dvd and proceed to running Check Disk.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think first, perhaps, you should try a couple of the top menu options.. For example: Under Action - Rescan disks, or refresh.: -or, have you tried right clicking and deleting the volumes, might do the trick?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think first, perhaps, you should try a couple of the top menu options.. For example: Under Action - Rescan disks, or refresh.: -or, have you tried right clicking and deleting the volumes, might do the trick?
Wouldn't deleting lose all drive data? BTW I purchased the paid versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. Paid version, you get more out of them. So far I'm impressed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.
I usually don't have an AV on my machine because I kinda know what files to stay away from. I've been computing since '98 and build machines and systems. That doesn't mean I know all for then I wouldnt be presenting my icon problem to the board. LOL I think I try brkkab123's advise but later I do this (I have a lot of work left to do yet and my PC is running OK except for the icon issue).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Wouldn't deleting lose all drive data#. For sure. But I apparently misunderstood. I thought you had removed the drive again.

Ask a Question