SOLVED how to change an icon

Reaction score
i have downloaded the program worldwidetelescope from Microsoft and i am personally not to fond of the desktop icon. however i am not able to change icon in the properties. im assuming its because of special permissions idk. is there anything i can do to simply change an icon for a file that does not permit it?
anything at all.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I've no experience of the program you are on about, but if I'm unable to change the desktop icon my usual trick is to**:
Create a shortcut in the source programs folder of its exe file. Change the icon in that, usually with Reshack 3.5.2 . Copy that to the desktop, start menu, wherever required.

**Sometimes it's possible to change the icons in the actual executive file. More often than not it will complain about a "corrupted file", hence the making of a shortcut.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Change the icon in that, usually with Reshack 3.5.2 .
**Sometimes it's possible to change the icons in the actual executive file. More often than not it will complain about a "corrupted file", hence the making of a shortcut.
You cannot change it in the .exe, and It already has two desktop shortcuts, which also cannot be changed. My suggestion was another alternative to Reshack. There are quite a few free ones around.

This is the one I use, if the op fancies it?

View attachment 2075

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What exactly is sitting on your desktop? Is it an actual exe or a shortcut to an exe or is it a URL that causes your browser to open?

If it is an actual exe then move it into a folder under program files and then create a shortcut on the desktop instead.

If it is a shortcut on the desktop then right-click and select properties. Under the shortcut tab there is a change icon button; hit that and it should show you the icon or icons stored in the exe. You can pick one there or click browse and find another icon on your computer.

If it is a URL then right-click and select properties. Under the web document tab there is a change icon button; hit that and it should show you several default icons. You can pick one there or click browse and find another icon on your computer.

Reaction score
the desktop has the shortcuts.
the "change icon" option in the properties is grayed out, and the same for the exe files in the actual folder which in the program files (x86).

i made new folder in the program files for the purpose of trying both, copying the exe and creating a shortcut.

when i try to create a shortcut in this new folder, it tells me i cant, then asks if i wanna create a shortcut on the desktop instead. when i try to copy it into the new folder it allows me, i still get the grayed out "change icon" in properties.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
You cannot change it in the .exe, and It already has two desktop shortcuts, which also cannot be changed. My suggestion was another alternative to Reshack. There are quite a few free ones around.

This is the one I use, if the op fancies it?

View attachment 2075
Pardon me.

1 minute later....

WWT.png

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
As I said, GoTo the C:\Program.....\WWTelescope folder. Right click the WWTelescope.exe file, select create shortcut which should create it in the same folder (note! not the SendTo desktop (create shortcut) option). Rename it whatever (remove the .exe bit at least, will save confusion), that's optional. Copy n paste that to your desktop. Do as you want with it. (Suggest not to use an Elmer icon!)

Reaction score
ok cool. i got it. it didn't let me make the shortcut in the folder at first, so i lowered my uac to the minimum and restarted, then it allowed me to create a shortcut in the folder, then i moved it to the desktop. thx alot for the help

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have thanked you, elmer. I had forgotten that!

Ask a Question