Home Server build

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this topic.

I'm in the process of planning out a build for a home server and I have some questions on hardware. Do I really need a server mobo and server CPU? Can I use a regular mobo and CPU and install server 2008? What is the difference between a server case and regular desktop case? What are the big differences in using the server side hardware vs regular hardware, mainly the mobo and CPU? I just want to set up a small home server that has 3 desktops (2 more to be added later) and 2 laptops (2 more to be added later) then add a printer on the server side of it (to eliminate 4 printers). I really don't need to do this but rather as a challenge for me and how cost effective this would be for a true server setup vs a media type home server such as HP's media home server vs a NAS setup. I know the cost of a sever is at least double vs a regular desktop because of what the server is designed to do. Has anybody else on here set one up and can share their in/outs of it with me.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this topic.

I'm in the process of planning out a build for a home server and I have some questions on hardware. Do I really need a server mobo and server CPU? Can I use a regular mobo and CPU and install server 2008? What is the difference between a server case and regular desktop case? What are the big differences in using the server side hardware vs regular hardware, mainly the mobo and CPU? I just want to set up a small home server that has 3 desktops (2 more to be added later) and 2 laptops (2 more to be added later) then add a printer on the server side of it (to eliminate 4 printers). I really don't need to do this but rather as a challenge for me and how cost effective this would be for a true server setup vs a media type home server such as HP's media home server vs a NAS setup. I know the cost of a sever is at least double vs a regular desktop because of what the server is designed to do. Has anybody else on here set one up and can share their in/outs of it with me.
Basicly, server cases, fans, CPUs and mobos are designed for servers. They are designed to make the server as efficient as possible. You don't wan't to have to pay an enormous electricity bill each time you turn on your server, especially if you are a professional.Though, this doesn't mean you have to install a Server OS on a server machine. I have a webserver on a old HP Compaq laptop, that has specs like 256RAM, Intel Celeron Processor, etc... and it works perfectly.P

re-built home servers have the ease of use, with less configuration problems and things like that, but then again, you get less features. So if I were you, I would get a cheap computer and install a server on it.

Um... I don't wan't to do any advertising for Linux, but Linux Server OSs are free, extremely stable and run on very low specs. That's what I've got...

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've wondered myself about converting my desktop into a server, looked into it, asked many questions across the net about it, and was basically advised to leave things as they are.

However, what you're describing is a major investment for something you don't need, or a challenge. If you decide to do this, you may as well put it to use in some way, due to the huge expense of everything you'll need. Or build one to sell to a customer, so that you don't lose anything.

I wish you the best of luck in your project, and hope that it's successful one. Post back afterwards and let us know how everything goes.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Basicly, server cases, fans, CPUs and mobos are designed for servers. They are designed to make the server as efficient as possible. You don't wan't to have to pay an enormous electricity bill each time you turn on your server, especially if you are a professional.Though, this doesn't mean you have to install a Server OS on a server machine. I have a webserver on a old HP Compaq laptop, that has specs like 256RAM, Intel Celeron Processor, etc... and it works perfectly.P

re-built home servers have the ease of use, with less configuration problems and things like that, but then again, you get less features. So if I were you, I would get a cheap computer and install a server on it.

Um... I don't wan't to do any advertising for Linux, but Linux Server OSs are free, extremely stable and run on very low specs. That's what I've got...
While this is very true, it's not necessary for the average user.

But I have a project in mind myself, I want to create a forum (non-computer related) of my own, and a server would be the way to go. However, I don't know if I would come out better by building my own (using free software), or buying a pre-built one. But it will be in the late part of 2011 before I can do this, at the earliest.

It will be a forum dedicated to pain sufferers, and I already have support (moral and some financial pledges) which I'll gladly appreciate. And before it comes up, no, I will not use TechNet software for my project, even if it is a non profit. The project will stand or fall on it's own, and software will be purchased properly and legally. When the project is finished, I'll welcome all on this forum to visit it. There is strong demand for health care projects, and I feel qualified to run one, as I'll have plenty of backing for my project. Including some input from the medical community. Forum software, while not free, can be obtained at a minimal expense.

Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
While this is very true, it's not necessary for the average user.

But I have a project in mind myself, I want to create a forum (non-computer related) of my own, and a server would be the way to go. However, I don't know if I would come out better by building my own (using free software), or buying a pre-built one. But it will be in the late part of 2011 before I can do this, at the earliest.

It will be a forum dedicated to pain sufferers, and I already have support (moral and some financial pledges) which I'll gladly appreciate. And before it comes up, no, I will not use TechNet software for my project, even if it is a non profit. The project will stand or fall on it's own, and software will be purchased properly and legally. When the project is finished, I'll welcome all on this forum to visit it. There is strong demand for health care projects, and I feel qualified to run one, as I'll have plenty of backing for my project. Including some input from the medical community. Forum software, while not free, can be obtained at a minimal expense.

Cat

That's great! :)

I was just suggesting an old Linux server because you can use pretty much any machine, and the only costs are the time set it up.
For a webserver, you can also use an old PC with a Linux Server OS on it, which will run on pretty much any machine as well, and in this case, the only costs will be to get a domain name and tthe time to setup the server. Domain names are around 10-20$

After that, it all depends on what you want to put on your website. For example, if I am right, the software running this forum costs about 280$

Last edited:

Ask a Question