hibernation and sleep mode

Reaction score
Hello:
I am entirely frustrated with a new notebook I bought about 3 weeks ago, and I think I will return it to the store (Costco takes it back!) since windows 7 performance is simply unacceptable.
This computer cannot reliably go in StandBy mode. After I have contacted HP support (very unhelpful standard responses that mostly told me that I had messed up the windows updates ?!?!?!? and had to re-install the OS) and after I have tried all kinds of suggestions in various on-line forums including this one, I decided that Windows 7 has a problem with StandBy mode that cannot currently be resolved. So in my Power Settings I have my notebook set to never go into Sleep mode. For closing the lid, I have set it to hibernate, same for using the power button. For critically low battery levels I have also set it to hibernate. Yet, this notebook cannot reliably hibernate either! Sometimes it works, but most times, when I want to start up again I get that dreaded message that windows has crashed yet again. A notebook that cannot even hibernate is completely useless.
I tried to contact Microsoft support, but I need some PID that should be on the sticker underneath my notebook, I tried all kinds of numbers from that sticker, but none of them are acceptable.
This is my last attempt to find a solution for this problem, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Thank you!
Beate D.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi tnafele and welcome to the windows 7 forums!
Ok, so firstly, could I please know which model of HP notebooks do you have. Also, you said that the "windows 7 performance is simply unacceptable.", when you say that, does the notebook have any other problems, or is the hibernation the only one?
Anyway, I know that the following help isn't really what you want, but I would advise you, as many people on the forums would, to DISABLE hibernation. That will save you a few gigs on your HDD, and also, any problems you had before the hibernation should go away after a cold boot.
And, a cold boot only takes a few seconds more than a hibernation!

So to disable hibernation, type this in a command prompt (cmd):
powercfg /hibernate off
Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Fire Cat. Unfortunately turning hibernation off is not an option for me; this is a notebook, StandBy and hibernation modes should be working without my having a power cord and outlet always available. The feature of being able to get back to a work area that I previously had is very important to me. I use it all the times with other computers.

This notebook is a HP G62, Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD, Bios Version F.07 (Feb. 2010). I checked just about all the drivers, and they are all up-to-date.

Beate D.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice computer!
Ok, so the only thing I can think of, is to disable hibernation is control panel, reboot, enable (you might have to reboot... I'm not sure for this time.). That should create a new "hiberfil.sys" file (4GB file) in the root of your HDD, after having deleted the old one. Also, don't forget to check for registry errors before.

Hope that helps,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies, I will try your suggestions and let you know whether I get any further with resolving those issues. Beate D.

Ask a Question