SOLVED Help Please. (safe mode loop)

Reaction score
I couldn't delete some residual files from a program i uninstalled. I set msconfig to go into safe mode so I could delete the files but I get a never ending loop. If I use the win7 install disc it doesn't see my OS install. I'm running a z68 mobo raid1 and a 60gb SSD for the smart response. Like an idiot its been months since i've made a backup image. I can boot it using a linux live disk and everything is there. I'm clueless what to do now, I've been reading and trying everything I can find for the last 6 hours. There has to be some file that can be edited to kill safe mode from trying to load right?

Please please if you know how I can get back up and running I need help!

Reaction score
Go back into msconfig and change it back to how you had it before. Then to remove leftover files from a un-install....you'll need to use the registry editor.

[{ Note: editing the registy can be very dangerous to your system.]}

To get into the registry, click start orb, and type regedit into search window and the registry window pops up. Use "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and got to software and look for anything resembling the software you want to delete and right click on it and delete it.

There's been a few instances that we've all had to use the registry editor to completely remove leftovers of some unwanted software that was still causing problems with our systems.

Reaction score
The problem is the I can not get the computer to boot into the OS after setting it to go to safe mode. Windows is not recognising my raid array, I tried booting with the win7 install disk but it does not see the array, I tried loading raid drivers for hours with no luck. Using a linux live disk I can se the array, that is why I'd like to know if there is a tool that can edit the boot loader or a way to manually edit the file to cancel safe mode

Reaction score
Is there a way to extract the bootloader information from a backup image? and then apply that using linux since windows will not see my array currently. All I want is to cancel the safe mode.

it obvisiosly doesn't work correctly with my setup and have read many people are having issues with safe mode and raid with win7

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED:

It took a week but I figured it out. Lots of trial and error but I know exactly how to remedy this problem now, everything is back like it never happened

With as many people as I've read have come across this problem it blows me away that there have been no solutions online or acknowledgement from Microsoft that its an issue

Reaction score
stuck in safe mode reboot loop

Tundra,

It appeared to me this morning my laptop had maleware titled 'rtwlan'. 3 minutes or so after start up everything would freeze up and 'not respond' After reading some malwarebytes' threads I went to msconfig and selected the safe mode boot. Now my laptop is stuck in a safe mode reboot loop because the virus won't allow it to start up in safe mode.

How can I revert the boot selection!?

HELP

Reaction score
Is your laptop running a raid1 array, what I did would not apply to anything else

Reaction score
My problem was that safe mode would not recognise my Raid1 array
My Solution:

Break the raid array in the startup sequence
Shutdown the pc
Disconnect all drives except one C: drive and one optical drive
(then) It booted into safe mode
Enter msconfig and disable safe mode
Reboot
Create a backup image (not restore point) and saved it to a separate hard drive on my NAS, I used Acronis (the one built into windows works fine, process differs slightly) and shutdown
Pulled both drives that made my C: drive in Raid1 and using a USB hard drive caddy formatted them using a laptop (right-click 'my computer' and choose manage, then disk management from the menu on the right, right click drive and formatted each of them)
Put the drives back into my computer and re-created the raid1 array in the boot sequence
Booted (using an Acronis recovery disk) and re-imaged my array
(using a windows disk you would need to slipstream the raid drivers into your setup disk or load them when prompted) select repair windows and restore your created image

It was a long stressful frustrating process to figure out.

Hope that helps

Ask a Question