Active Members: 300

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Would the server crash if they all logged on at the same time :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, we're really starting to grown now :D I'm looking forward to when we hit the 10k members mark.

The server has plenty of spare capacity at the moment, but I'm sure it would be groaning if everyone decided to visit at once ;)

Mic

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, found a link from dslreports.com

I love WINDOWS 7!!! <3

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hold on to your seats when Christmas rolls around as I expect alot of people will get a new computer with Windows 7 and have lots of questions!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
;)Discrete "plants" and references on other sites help. I've got a good one going. I see several migrants here from there.;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm with draceena and Veedaz on this. A lot of systems (mainly laptops) preloaded with Windows 7 will be given as Christmas presents. Wal Mart has already announced that on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, they are selling a HP laptop that is $650 for $298. Can you believe it. I think a LOT of people will be here looking for help and new friends. These eBay power sellers won't be able to jack up the prices on their XP based laptops anymore. As much as I enjoyed XP Pro, I find that I'm seldom even using my laptops anymore (they dual boot Win 2K Pro & XP Pro). Windows 7 is IT! As Ric Flair would say: WHOOOOOOOO!

Reaction score
I find that I'm seldom even using my laptops anymore (they dual boot Win 2K Pro & XP Pro).
I was the same way dual booting just in case Windows 7 did not work out. I found I was not making use of the Multiboot Options and logging in to Windows 7 every time.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Ive not used XP for weeks now and i think i will be selling my XP disks before they become obsolete, and purchasing some more copy's of Windows 7..

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Veedaz, you will find a good market for your XP discs, that is, if you're serious. They go for over $100 USD on eBay, as long as you provide the COA's as well. I'm keeping mine for my laptops, which I haven't used in three days now. Just keep in mind that you'll have to uninstall XP from your system, so the buyer can get validated and get all updates and programs. If it is left on your system, Microsoft will assume that the new owner has a pirated version, and will have problems.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No problem catilley1092 the product keys will not be in use when i sell the XP disks (2 Home and 4 Pro) i have three people wanting them already !.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, XP is still in demand right now. But sell them while you can, because the deals are on for new laptops with Windows 7. Microsoft is gaining ground fast with Win 7. You don't even hear Vista mentioned anymore (it must be one of those four letter words). Good Luck!

Reaction score
You don't even hear Vista mentioned anymore (it must be one of those four letter words)
I was going through a list of operating systems about a year ago. Low and behold Windows ME was in the list. I had totally forgotten about Windows ME ever existing. It must have been five years past since the last time I remember thinking about Windows ME. I never used Windows ME and I am glad didn't.

Windows Vista will be just like Windows ME and forgotten within a few years. I did however use Vista for a month or two before trying Windows 7. After which I never needed anything else.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, ME is another of Microsoft's flops. The only three that I had are Win 2K Pro, XP Pro and Win 7 Home Premium, and as soon as I get an issue resolved, I'm going to upgrade to Win 7 Pro through the Windows Anytime Upgrade. I would have done it last night, but the program says that I have 1.8GB RAM, when in fact I have 2GB RAM. If I didn't have that, I couldn't even run Windows 7 at all. There must be a fault in the upgrade advisor.

Reaction score
Catilley are you using onboard graphics? This could be where the other memory is being used.

As far as the upgrade adviser. You should only use that as a guide. I see no reason why you couldn't go ahead and do the upgrade.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I guess not much of a contribution to this thread, but I have succesfully installed, with all features running, Windows 7 Ultimate on a computer with ½gb ram

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hard to see it, but with such a small footprint, it goes to show anything's possible with Windows 7. But that's a lot of money spent for that low RAM. I hope that's a full retail version that can be installed elsewhere.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Lol. No. Technet subscription. All free if you are a tester. (But with use limitations.)
It was just another thread put up on the Technet forum and was a challenge to see how low one could go to run Windows 7 - however badly. The computer also only had on board graphics and ran 640 x 480, at 60Hz. Not totally useable.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
catilley1092 - Since you're using a laptop, your onboard graphics chip will automatically use some of the RAM, more than likely it is using 256MB. That's probably the default setting in the BIOS. It can also be adjusted to use more, but usually the default setting is sufficient.

That's why the RAM is only showing around 1.8 available. Use the task manager to see exactly what's up with that, click the Performance Tab.

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on an old desktop with 512MB of RAM for grins, it took a while, but it installed and ran fine.

Windows 7 is a great OS!

Last edited:

Ask a Question