Getting folder back to correct place.

Reaction score
I was fiddling about with the 'programs >> ' list at the bottom of desktop in the taskbar.

I was trying to drag and drop a program into a different place on the list so it was next to another program with a similar purpose.

However what I succeeded in doing was moving the program folder from 'programs>>' and onto the desktop as a folder not a shortcut.

If I click on it I get an explorer window from which I can click on the program to load it.
This is not not I want. I don't want the folder on the desktop, I don't want a shortcut on the desktop I just want to be able to return it to the expandable program list which is in 'programs>>' in the taskbar at the bottom.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you talking about programs in the Start Menu at the Orb in the lower left corner? Once you slide them over to the desktop... I'm not sure how you can get them back.

Or do you mean the actual taskbar at the bottom running the length of the desktop?

If you want to "PIN" a program to the Taskbar, then right-click on the program desired and select "Pin to Taskbar"

Reaction score
Neither Nibs. Bear with me a mo' and I'll try to post a couple of screen shots.

Reaction score
Sorry cannot seem to get the saved screen shot to copy/paste into here.

Reaction score

Had to go back to XP and use photbucket to post here.
Anyway note at bottom right of screen in taskbar there is " programs>> " clicking on that gives me an expaned list of the programs I have.

On the left of the desktop you will see a folder called "Corel digital Studio 2010" That happened when i was trying to re-arrange the order in that program list. Now I cannot get it off the desktop and back into the program list where I want it. Note it's not a shortcut on the desktop but the actual program folder so I cannot just delete it.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You might try System Restore to if that works.

Looks like a classic F.U.B.A.R. to me.

Reaction score
Perhaps but I'd rather learn how to fix it if I can.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Mychael - I don't believe there is a fix. You might Google it and see what you come up with, but since no one else has replied, it might not be fixable.

PM both cybercore and TM and see if they know of anything that may help.

I'm at a loss on this one.

Reaction score
Ok, lets try approaching this from another way.

See on the left side of desktop I have normal shortcuts for VLC Media Player & Corel Paint shop Photo. However neither appear in that program list on the right. I want to get them there.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Is that Programs toolbar pointing at your C:\Programs folder?
Have you checked the actual C:\Programs folder to see if the two programs are physically in there?
I've just made a toolbar, dragged a folder out and it's no longer in its original position. It's on the desktop.

In t'other words drop 'em back in C:programs (or whatever).

Reaction score
In the actual C:\programs folder I have Corel digital Studio which if I click on it will take me to a 2nd folder which contains the Corel Paint Shop Photo which I can click on to load.
VLC media player does not show up in the C:\Programs folder but happily launces from it's desktop shortcut. VLC never appeared in the program list on the right hand side from when I first installed it,Corel Paint shop photo did but I somehow lost it when I was fannying about in the program list.

Reaction score
Ok found the VLC player link. It's in program files but under Video/lan for some reason. After opening up the Corel Digital studio folder which brought me to the Corl Paint shop Photo item , I tried dragging the Corel Paint Shop item over to the programs folder. Now it's gone completly but still opens from the desktop shortcut.

Geez, 7 supposed to make finding folders and files easier!!! I don't think so.

Ok, so got the VLC player moved to program files and it shows as a file folder. Loads from the desktop shortcut but still not in that other list.
Corel Digital Studio/corel Paint Shop photo now only exists as as shortcut reference in c:\programs but still launches from the desktop shortcut and not showing up in the drop down menu.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the end just uninstalled the entire program and I'll start from scratch with the Paint Shop Photo. Lost all visible reference to it but for a while it still loaded from the desktop shortcut then even that started working.
So far hard to find the love for this new file system.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'd download the 30 day trial of Total Uninstall 5.9.2.
When you "analyse" (advanced mode best) installed programs it gives you a tree of all its file, folder and registry entries/locations. Gives you 30 days to find Paint shop!!
I liked this so much I bought it. Good for monitoring installs.

Reaction score
Downloading it now to try. did you end up buying the standard or Pro version?

Wow, lots of information in it.. It looks a bit like the old Xtree Pro from the dos days. Remember that program?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you yanked a folder off your start menu and dropped it on your desktop and you want to put it back.

This is actually pretty easy - you simply drag it back. Make sure your start menu is set up to automatically select on hover (so menus expand, etc if you sit over them).

Grab the folder and drag it to the Start Orb. When the Start Menu opens drag it to Programs. And when the Start menu shows move up so you see a red line under the last folder and drop it.

If this doesn't work you may need to Take Ownership first. Or turn off UAC. Or both. All I can say is I have done both and it works just fine for me.

So here is a longer drawn out way if above doesn't work for you. Set UAC off. Then you need to get to C:\Users to "Take Ownership" of the UserId(s). If you haven't already, install "Take Ownership".

Was that folder available to all users, just admins, or just to your ID? Basically you need to determine which Start Menu to drag it back under. The UserID system is set up under C:\Users\ and your choice is C:\Users\All Users, C:\Users\Admin, and C:\Users\Mychael. Most likely it was in All Users.

Now me, I've taken ownership of all three because I set up my menus in folders and subfolders like I always did. The only thing I can't do and sounds like you were trying is to sort them in any order besides alphabetical (it sometimes seems to work for a while and then somehow, not even a reboot is required, it will suddenly be back to alphabetical).

So anyway, lets say it was available to All Users so you need to Take Ownership of C:\Users\All Users. Now have the folder on the desktop visible and have Windows Explorer open in a partial window on the right side of your screen. In Windows Explorer expand down to C:\ ... Users .... All Users ... Start Menu ... Programs.

You should see folders like Accessories, Startup, etc. under Programs. Now simply drag the Corel folder from your desktop to Programs and drop it on it. It should then appear in line with Accessories, etc.

Now if you go to Start ... Programs it should be there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TM, I'll probably print you message out so I can read through it better then reply again.
I have UAC off or at least as low as the slider goes. I 'think' I have ownership of everything anyway as I used that program link you gave me called' take ownership.reg.'
I was trying to change the order of programs listed but not from the ORB but from that program list I have the expands out on my desktop from the Programs>> link in my taskbar.
As I was trying to do it I somehow created not a shortcut to start the program as you would when you right click on something to 'create shortcut on desktop'. but rather a folder with the program in it.
I could not re-drag it back to where it came from but never knew to try dragging it to the ORB.

In any case in the end I killed the program from loading at all so deleted it and re-installed it to get where I wanted.

The other program VLC player has a desktop shortcut but is not in that other list I spoke of so I'll try dragging that to the orb to see what happens.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your "other" programs list has to be a folder maintained somewhere so you find it and then just drag shortcuts like VLC and folders to it.

Ask a Question