SOLVED Freezing in limited account

Reaction score
My daughter has a HP laptop running on Windows 7 with Norton installed. For the past two weeks she has had problems connecting to internet even though it IS connected. I can connect as an administrator. Also, if I run Norton on my account, it runs and is fine. If I try to run Norton on her limited user account, it freezes after two minutes or so. I have tried three times and each time it freezes sooner and sooner. (10,00 files, then 9,500 then 6850). If I put the computer in safe mode, all works under both the administrator and limited account. Please help!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Welcome Kathybay!

What version of Norton is it and is it the trial version that comes with an HP computer? My ultimate advice will be to uninstall it because of my history with Symantic products. But I've heard good things about the latest version.

These file numbers you posted, are they during a start-up scan?

Reaction score
I needed to recreate a new profile and move info from one to the other.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I disagree, in part, with the above suggestion. Since your account runs fine with Norton and you can connect to the Internet fine, that would suggest it is a problem with that account, and not Norton. I can see Norton blocking her access to the Internet (but not Intermittantly), and certainly Norton has a history of bogging systems down due to bloat (though the latest version is much better). But freezing suggests (but does not prove) it is something else. And while I am not against dumping Norton, I am against dumping it (and advising dumping it) without having a viable alternative at the ready. With the release of Windows 7, Windows Firewall is now a fully functional and capable firewall. Also, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) has proven, and been certified as a very capable anti-malware program and I have been using both on all my Win7 systems with great satisfaction - and no bloat. Should you decide to dump Norton, download MSE first. Then uninstall Norton, enable Windows Firewall, reboot, then install MSE from your downloaded MSE install file. Do NOT go without a firewall or anti-malware protection.

If me, I would log in with your administrator account, backup her data she does not want to lose, then delete her account and create a new one. Make sure Windows is fully updated with all the latest updates. And make sure your daughter practices safe computing by avoiding risky practices like opening attachments and downloads without scanning first, or visiting sites badguys wallow in - in particular peer-to-peer (P2P) sites that facilitate illegal filesharing of copyrighted materials, such as tunes, videos, and published documents. Note too that social networking sites like Facebook, and their members, are also primary targets for badguys and their malware.

Ask a Question