Freezes of death (yes, again)

Reaction score
Hello there fellow geeks !

First, sorry about posting another freezes issues on this board - and my possibly bad english as I'm french, hope you won't hold it against me ;)
Allright then moving on the specs parts :

- The specs
WINDOWS 7 Pro 32
MB : Asus sabertooth x58
Proc : I7-950
Ram : 3x1G - 1333 DDR3 Kingston
GC : Msi Cyclone Nvidia 460GTX
HDD : OCZ Vertex 2 60G SSD
HDD2 : Sata 2 drive, I don't have the specs but it has been removed for all tests and stand not guilty so far.
Power : GX-650W Cooler Master.
Case : Antec Two Hundred

- Disclaimer
If you don't want to read the whole story, go straight to "Newly installed programs history" ;)
Fast resume : Freeze / huge slow on games or youtube video after a few hours (4/6h) of use while the OS worked fine a week ago in same conditions.

- Boring part to provide insight
Now the little story. I've been using win 7 for the past month without any problems on this new computer, a few oddities appart mostly from faulty programs all removed thoroughly. Now this weekend I had a freeze, the first actually and a major one.
Note that I didn't have any issue of that kind only a week ago, everything was working fine even on a straight 18hrs running.

While watching a youtube video (1080p bad idea), everything went unresponsive, the mouse cursor would still work as would the video (I could hear the sound still playing) but I couldn't do any 'new action' - and as I was trying the usuals : Ctrl+Alt+Del, manually closing programs on taskbar, some random blue screen poped very quickly (i think it was about securing data or something but can't be sure really) and finally the computer rebooted.
The HDD light would stay on so the bios wouldn't detect the hard drive anymore and I had to switch the computer off for a few minutes and eventually it would start up as usual.

I'm a tad stubborn so first thing I did when everything went back online was to get back to the specific video, this time in 720p. Well as you guessed, not even 10s later the same freeze and same cycle, but then the hard drive was way slower than usual and with a SSD it's fairly noticeable as it was roughly 4x times slower to boot and start windows. I became reasonable and proceeded to test a few things.

First thing I've tried was to do something else than watching my nemesis video, tried a game instead : fail, same happened.
This time, I waited for the freeze to end and it actually ended 5 minutes later after every software running went haywire and eventually stopped working and closed. I noticed that it wasn't a "freeze" per se but more like a huge slowdown as from time to time I would be able to perform an action : closing a program or opening a new window. And as fast as it came, everything came back to normal.

- Newly installed programs history
Well believe it or not, but to my knowledge the only new software was a game 'black ops' and that was it. Of course it could have been from a previous day but I don't recall installing anything that would change my setup - I'll check up more this evening as I'm at work right now.

- Tested solutions
As this was looking pretty bad, I did the usuals :
- Everything is up to date via windows update
- Registry fix (registry cleaner, went ok)
- chkdsk /r, went ok nothing odd to report
- Temperatures check with speedfan : the AUX was around 50°Celsius / 122° Fahrenheit but it doesn't look that bad to me as everything else was OK, I might be mistaken tho.
- Suspicious process, nothing in sight as the install is pretty new everything showing were expected there.
- Windows backup : deactivated.
- Windows Power management : switched to high performance but didn't help
- Windows Error Reporting : set to auto from manual.
In the device manager, there is an USB port that windows can't find a driver for, I honestly don't know why it wouldn't - and if it's even relevant - but I though it could indicate something. My Logitech G5 mouse use an old driver as the newest are bugged and every once in a while the mouse wouldn't be switched "on" by windows until plug out / plug in, so I might try to update drivers or use legacy mouse just to be sure.

And Finally, the Event Log :
I've been through the whole thing looking for anything around the timeline and nothing came up at the exact time but an event stating a new login has been successfull and permissions set following said login. Appart from this, the event log seemed empty for the whole 5 minutes my computer 'froze / slowed'.
5 minutes before freeze nothing special, a few process started some stopped but nothing triggered an alert or critical event.

- Coming tests and tryouts
So now I'm left with a few things to test out, such as :
- Full drivers update as seen on other threads.
- Flash my Bios if available (my build is around december 20th 2010)

/* DONE TESTING THESE */
- Check if Nvidia drivers from WinUpdate might be faulty (hey I'm desperate here)
- Hotfix from MS to install
- List of installed softwares from the entire week prior to the issue
- More quick fix (tweaking process mostly)
- Tweak Bios on power management
- I tried to watch videos on silverlight instead of flash and it seems to work fine (I think silverlight don't use GC to render video unlike flash so maybe a clue ... or not)
/* END TESTED STUFF */

- Random thoughts
I've spent like 10h on tests and such, and while I'm at the office and unable to test more until at home, I'm wondering about hardware or software issue.
The hard drive still working even on a reboot is quite scary but then again, everything worked fine in the exact same situations such as temperatures, programs (more or less I reckon) or data load. I'd imagine that any hardware issue would have been faster to emerge than an entire month.
- Youtube videos I haven't checked again but Silverlight seems to work (at least for a 45 mins stream) while youtube was a no deal even for a few seconds.
- Using windows on limited things like casual browsing and watching movies seems ok, I don't have a reliable or long timeframe to support this as it was late but that could indicate something with temperatures, I honestly do not know.

Thanks to any one coming this far, I realize this was a long post but I hope that there was enough informations to be of any use. I've used up all my tricks and feel I can't find it on my own and so much threads seems to exist about it so I guess I might have overlooked something dead simple ;)

Regards my fellow geeks !

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD also. I updated it to the latest firmware, v1.32 and also the latest OCZ Toolbox software WILL NOW WORK inside Windows 7 on the SSD drive, so you can do the firmware update from there.

Download OCZ Toolbox

If you're using the Intel RST or Rapid Storage Technology drivers, then BE SURE that you're not using the v10.1.0.1008 drivers. The Vertex 2 does like them at all and the OCZ Toolbox will not run with them installed. The v10.x.x driver is for the Intel P6x driver set.

Instead rollback to the Intel RST driver v9.​6.​0.​1014, since I have done that my system is rock solid stable no more freezes or BSOD.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply!
I'll add that to my TO-DO list and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Allright, update 1 :
I've added to my testing a few things, along with Nibiru's advice.
Nothing was acting weird, I'm just waiting now to see if it helped or not !

By the way, should I be worried that the Vertex upgrade shutdown my comp without any more warning than a quick windows ? :)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No you shouldn't be worried about the shutdown after the firmware update, that's a normal procedure that is does and then on the next power up the drive has been updated.

Reaction score
Ok update number 2, after installing a hotfix from MS, updating Vertex 2 firmware, update for USB3 support on X58 and switching from Nod32 to MSE. Everything was okay so I went to sleep then when I came back tonight :

Double BSOD (no dump yay) in a row 3 minutes after booting and ... drums rolling ... Vertex 2 down, permanent red light on my motherboard with no detection on the hard drive.

Before everything went from "somehow stable" straight to "total wacko", the only things I've done - apart from the steps in the beginning of the post - was to open Daemon tools (latest version) and updating MSE virus list.

There is something else ... but I'm afraid you guys will think I've lost my mind :
My cat is a cuddler, so every once in a while he would get on my lap or pass in front of the case at the floor (its carpet if you wonder) so I thought : "Hey that might just be static !", I know how it sounds I'm a little bit worried about myself right now...

But thats just random thought as my system drive is dead and I'm left with the only solution to buy a cheap classic SATA drive until my RMA goes through... I don't even know if I want to use it as system drive anymore, this was the worst experience in almost 15 years of using a PC, never had so much trouble with a new comp and certainly not THAT fast.

I'll try to update with a new HDD, just in case someone with similar issues might stumble upon this post ;)

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If you've got Daemon tools then look in your drivers folder to see if sptd.sys is installed. It's a notorious cause of BSOD's on 7. It may install elsewhere so do a thorough search for it. I've never used Daemon so I'm unsure where it goes.
The sptd.sys driver is notorious for causing BSOD's with Windows 7. It's a driver used and installed along with Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120 which you'll also have to uninstall.
Then use the correct (32bit or 64bit) download from Duplex Secure - Downloads to uninstall the SPTD.SYS driver.
Make sure to select the uninstall button! DO NOT SELECT INSTALL!!

Reaction score
Well as my drive seems dead, I'm way past fixing drivers I'm now heading to OCZ to get a RMA ;)

Reaction score
Quick update !

After the Vertex 2 died, I used a classic WD Caviar Blue as system to check if anything happens. Four days later, I haven't had any trouble so far which exclude hardware problems as the computer was used for extensive period of time of gaming, video, work etc.

The only difference in the specs is the hard drive, sp1 not installed and no troublesome software such as Daemon Tools, AV soft...

So far my only lead would be the Vertex 2 even so I feel a driver issue could have triggered the whole panic mode thing. Yet, after a while on the OCZ boards, their Sandforce based drives seems to suffer way too much trouble and I'll be switching to a hybrid hdd just to save me the pain of having deal with the same issues.

Good luck to anyone having those freezes / BSOD, this is such a drag to troubleshoot the causes and I might not be out of trouble just yet ;)

Reaction score
Fisrt also sorry for my poor english as I'M a frenchy also

Read you story funny I have similar problems again. In the pass some Windows 7 forum team helped me eliviate 80% of my freeze just to say the site does work. Now back to your issue. 1 thing you mentionned and I would like to raise the question could it be your Special OPS game? I have the same and it could happen while playing some time (mid-resolution) but also regular WEB browsing. I'm wondering if the STREAM software running in the back end might cause something?

I solved also some issue of freezing as most of my logging are done on a regular familly account (no admin rights) so by allowing my account to have admin rights, also help for another 10% of my issue. A software was trying to PING an outside server on regular basis demanding admin rights all the time on the back end. My router log told me what was trying to ping.

anyway hope you resolve your issue but the STREAM account software make me wonder.

take care

Hello there fellow geeks !

First, sorry about posting another freezes issues on this board - and my possibly bad english as I'm french, hope you won't hold it against me ;)
Allright then moving on the specs parts :

- The specs
WINDOWS 7 Pro 32
MB : Asus sabertooth x58
Proc : I7-950
Ram : 3x1G - 1333 DDR3 Kingston
GC : Msi Cyclone Nvidia 460GTX
HDD : OCZ Vertex 2 60G SSD
HDD2 : Sata 2 drive, I don't have the specs but it has been removed for all tests and stand not guilty so far.
Power : GX-650W Cooler Master.
Case : Antec Two Hundred

- Disclaimer
If you don't want to read the whole story, go straight to "Newly installed programs history" ;)
Fast resume : Freeze / huge slow on games or youtube video after a few hours (4/6h) of use while the OS worked fine a week ago in same conditions.

- Boring part to provide insight
Now the little story. I've been using win 7 for the past month without any problems on this new computer, a few oddities appart mostly from faulty programs all removed thoroughly. Now this weekend I had a freeze, the first actually and a major one.
Note that I didn't have any issue of that kind only a week ago, everything was working fine even on a straight 18hrs running.

While watching a youtube video (1080p bad idea), everything went unresponsive, the mouse cursor would still work as would the video (I could hear the sound still playing) but I couldn't do any 'new action' - and as I was trying the usuals : Ctrl+Alt+Del, manually closing programs on taskbar, some random blue screen poped very quickly (i think it was about securing data or something but can't be sure really) and finally the computer rebooted.
The HDD light would stay on so the bios wouldn't detect the hard drive anymore and I had to switch the computer off for a few minutes and eventually it would start up as usual.

I'm a tad stubborn so first thing I did when everything went back online was to get back to the specific video, this time in 720p. Well as you guessed, not even 10s later the same freeze and same cycle, but then the hard drive was way slower than usual and with a SSD it's fairly noticeable as it was roughly 4x times slower to boot and start windows. I became reasonable and proceeded to test a few things.

First thing I've tried was to do something else than watching my nemesis video, tried a game instead : fail, same happened.
This time, I waited for the freeze to end and it actually ended 5 minutes later after every software running went haywire and eventually stopped working and closed. I noticed that it wasn't a "freeze" per se but more like a huge slowdown as from time to time I would be able to perform an action : closing a program or opening a new window. And as fast as it came, everything came back to normal.

- Newly installed programs history
Well believe it or not, but to my knowledge the only new software was a game 'black ops' and that was it. Of course it could have been from a previous day but I don't recall installing anything that would change my setup - I'll check up more this evening as I'm at work right now.

- Tested solutions
As this was looking pretty bad, I did the usuals :
- Everything is up to date via windows update
- Registry fix (registry cleaner, went ok)
- chkdsk /r, went ok nothing odd to report
- Temperatures check with speedfan : the AUX was around 50°Celsius / 122° Fahrenheit but it doesn't look that bad to me as everything else was OK, I might be mistaken tho.
- Suspicious process, nothing in sight as the install is pretty new everything showing were expected there.
- Windows backup : deactivated.
- Windows Power management : switched to high performance but didn't help
- Windows Error Reporting : set to auto from manual.
In the device manager, there is an USB port that windows can't find a driver for, I honestly don't know why it wouldn't - and if it's even relevant - but I though it could indicate something. My Logitech G5 mouse use an old driver as the newest are bugged and every once in a while the mouse wouldn't be switched "on" by windows until plug out / plug in, so I might try to update drivers or use legacy mouse just to be sure.

And Finally, the Event Log :
I've been through the whole thing looking for anything around the timeline and nothing came up at the exact time but an event stating a new login has been successfull and permissions set following said login. Appart from this, the event log seemed empty for the whole 5 minutes my computer 'froze / slowed'.
5 minutes before freeze nothing special, a few process started some stopped but nothing triggered an alert or critical event.

- Coming tests and tryouts
So now I'm left with a few things to test out, such as :
- Full drivers update as seen on other threads.
- Flash my Bios if available (my build is around december 20th 2010)

/* DONE TESTING THESE */
- Check if Nvidia drivers from WinUpdate might be faulty (hey I'm desperate here)
- Hotfix from MS to install
- List of installed softwares from the entire week prior to the issue
- More quick fix (tweaking process mostly)
- Tweak Bios on power management
- I tried to watch videos on silverlight instead of flash and it seems to work fine (I think silverlight don't use GC to render video unlike flash so maybe a clue ... or not)
/* END TESTED STUFF */

- Random thoughts
I've spent like 10h on tests and such, and while I'm at the office and unable to test more until at home, I'm wondering about hardware or software issue.
The hard drive still working even on a reboot is quite scary but then again, everything worked fine in the exact same situations such as temperatures, programs (more or less I reckon) or data load. I'd imagine that any hardware issue would have been faster to emerge than an entire month.
- Youtube videos I haven't checked again but Silverlight seems to work (at least for a 45 mins stream) while youtube was a no deal even for a few seconds.
- Using windows on limited things like casual browsing and watching movies seems ok, I don't have a reliable or long timeframe to support this as it was late but that could indicate something with temperatures, I honestly do not know.

Thanks to any one coming this far, I realize this was a long post but I hope that there was enough informations to be of any use. I've used up all my tricks and feel I can't find it on my own and so much threads seems to exist about it so I guess I might have overlooked something dead simple ;)

Regards my fellow geeks !

Reaction score
Hi there, Bigalmtl !

I assume by Stream you mean Steam (steampowered.com) ? If so, I guess it could be an issue by itself although in my case it wasn't even running when I had my freezes.

Could you tell me which software was trying to ping outside tho ? I think I've seen something like that in my logs as well before the HDD was fried..

Anyway my temporary HDD is working fine so far with almost every single software installed but Daemon Tools and win7 SP1.

See ya

Reaction score
My software was 3CX a corp software for VoIP stuff so nothing I think that you would have on your PC .

my other 10% of freezing is due I think to my Asus mobo not supported by W7 as it ia a LGA775 Quad Q6600. should upĝrades next month so will see.

Ask a Question