forcedos.exe in W7?

Reaction score
I am trying to use the Microsoft c6.0a compiler in a dos window in a W7pro OS. In XP, the program forcedos.exe was required. (W2000 runs it ok, as does DOS.) This compiler is robust, and I'd like to keep using it for c.

Microsoft tech forums have nothing on it for W7 -- only XP.

Any suggestions?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would say that if you can't find any help at the MS Tech forums, then you're probably out of luck.

Reaction score
Hi dwknoble - Welcome to w7forums

Forcedos

Starts the specified program in the MS-DOS subsystem. This command is necessary only for those MS-DOS programs not recognized as such by Windows XP.
Syntax

forcedos [/d directory] FileName [parameters]
Read more here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490640.aspx

That would be outdated software needing extra support to run in XP. Seeing how Windows 7 has what is called XP Mode to run older XP application that would not normally run in Windows 7, I don't see Windows 7 having such support for anything older.

You could try using XP Mode and then using Forcedos within an XP virtual machine. Keep in mind you will need Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate to take advantage of XP Mode.

Reaction score
Found a way

I turns out that a "temp" directory is required for the compiler, and it, apparently, cannot create that directory under W7 dos. Creating a temp directory solves the problem, and forcedos.exe is not required when using a .mak file.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, it is my understanding, there is no longer native DOS in W7 (nor Vista I believe), ie Windows no longer sits on top of a DOS environment. All DOS commands in a "command prompt" window are now emulated by the Windows OS.

Ask a Question