Fn

Reaction score
Help Anyone.

I am a Windows 7 user. Recently, my Fn buttons stopped working on all functions. I cannot adjuct the volume nor the screen brightness using the Fn button, nor to switch between my laptop screen and the projector.

I use a Sony Vaio laptop.

Can anyone let me know if it is a set up issue or do I need to send my laptop for a hardware repair?

Regards,
Sol

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Run osk.exe (the on-screen keyboard). Press the Fn key in the bottom right with your left mouse button. This turns the top row into function keys. Now actually press one of the function keys on your actual keyboard, not with the mouse. If the top row of the OSK display goes back to numbers then the keypress is being detected and it is a good probability it is software related not a hardware failure.

If it was very recent you could try a restore from a system restore point. Type System Restore into the Start Search-box and select System Restore from the list & run it. Hit next and check the box "show more restore points". Then restore to a time before the problem (this does not effect your data but does uninstall any windows updates etc you have made since then). Does it work after the restore?

If it is still not working ...
Normally there is software from Vaio that interprets special keys, maybe it has been corrupted or is no longer running. Check the Sony Vaio support site for drivers/software to your make/model and look for something related to function keys and try to install it.