SOLVED Fit window to screen

Reaction score
There is a new feature with windows 7 that fits a window to full screen when a reduced sized window is dragged to the top or bottom of the screen. With software I use this is actually a pain, is there a way to turn this feature off?
Also just as a query, a minimized window in the task bar is known as minimized, a window fitting the entire screen is known as maximized - what is it called when I have a reduced sized window?

Cheers

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
a minimized window in the task bar is known as minimized, a window fitting the entire screen is known as maximized - what is it called when I have a reduced sized window?
... a window ...

And yes you can disable Windows Snap with a registry fix. See how HERE or just download the registry tweak they link to. Note: you will need Administrator privileges to run it.

EDIT: Forget this method, scroll down to Dave's post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks MrMan, the download was no longer available but the RegEdit process was easy to follow and it worked fine :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For anyone else looking to disable snap, View attachment Disable-Windows-7-Snap.zip is a zipped version of the reg file that you can run if you don't want to edit the registry manually.

Note: you must have administrator privileges to run this and you must logoff or restart after running it for it to take effect.

EDIT: Don't bother with this, Dave has the best solution, next!

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Fwiw. You can also turn it off through the "Ease of Access" facility. This is the more standard GUI way, rather than mess with the registry.
Open the "Ease of Access Centre"
Click "Make the Mouse easier to use"
Under the item "Make it easier to manage windows", click "Prevent windows being ...etc
Apply

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave, thanks, that's perfect. It would be nice if it at least mentioned SNAP in the description but I tested it and it does the registry change for you.
Disable-Windows-7-Snap.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question