Driver for new drive

Reaction score
I've just installed a Toshiba sata drive for my laptop and tried to install windows but I need the driver for the new drive. How do I obtain the driver?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless it is an SSD or you have your BIOS set to think it is RAID or it is over 2TB then their should not be a need for extra drivers but if you do need drivers then you go to the manufacturer, which you said is Toshiba.

Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried Toshiba but they referred me to the laptop manufacturer, Dell. I tried their website but so far have been unable to get any help there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the specific make model Toshiba drive? And the computer is Dell model #?

Reaction score
The drive is MK3276GSX 320GB SATA 5400rpm, and laptop is XPS m1330

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And you put this inside the laptop to replace the current hard drive?

Is the new hard drive detected from within your BIOS?

Reaction score
The drive is detected in the BIOS. When booting with no DVD in the drive, the message comes up "bootmgr is missing". With Windows installation disc in the CD Drive Windows starts to load and then requests the disc containing the hdd driver.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In the BIOS can you take a digital photo or type in the different fields & settings for the hard drive. I am specifically looking for items related to RAID because it is important RAID is not enabled. Since this is not an HDD, RAID is usually the only other thing I know that requires drivers.

still there are a few entries listed under Dell support for SATA. Specifically: Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Pre-OS Install) Driver, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, & Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver (not Intel Matrix Storage Manager, v.8.9.0.1023, A00 which is an older version of the last one I listed). You might put them on a CD or flash drive and see if they are the drivers it wants. (I suppose you might try this before bothering to take a picture of the BIOS)

Reaction score
I've just realised the disc I thought was an installation disc is a recovery disc which has no drivers. I am now downloading an installation iso and will try that. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I've tried the installation software I downloaded but still with the same problem; "no bootable device detected, load driver". I also downloaded Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and the others you suggested but they did not help (they are .exe files)..Attached is a shot of the only reference to the drive I can find in the BIOS.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is that all there is in the BIOS regarding hard drives? The only idea I had was it expected RAID volumes but I see nothing like that.

Is this a brand new drive or just new to this machine?

Can you plug it in to another computer and reference it?

And are you installing 32 or 64-bit W7?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As for the exe file(s), try to expand them. Normally you can change the file extension from exe to zip. Then you create a folder on a flash drive and drag the contents of the zip into the folder (or a temporary folder on your hard drive which you then burn to CD).

So for Intel_Matrix-Storage-Manager_A00_R230627.zip you would have a folder with:
Image1.jpg

And then you point install to that folder when it asks for drivers.

Reaction score
This is a brand new drive and I have plugged it into my other computer and formatted it. I'm trying to install 32 bit W7. I have extracted the files from the zip you mentioned but still I get the message "no signed drivers found".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the Pre-Install did mention Beta drivers so they might not be signed. I don't know what to tell you. You might consider contacting Dell support, though I know how they work: they will try to sell you one of their (over-priced) drives and that just BS, any brand drive should work, so press them as to what drivers you need to install W7 on the drive you already have.

Reaction score
Postscript: I decided to install Linux and it did so without any problem. I now realise that I should have reformatted the drive as a bootable drive which Linux did for me. I have now deleted Linux and installed Windows without further difficulty. Why couldn't Windows have done this?

Ask a Question