Ditry Partition

Reaction score
When I am using Windows 7 on the internet, sometimes websites won't load. If I then reboot, Chkdsk runs and says the partition that 7 is installed on is dirty. It then boots fine and everything seems normal. This doesn't happen every time but it happens often enough to make me wonder what is going on.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Do you always have to reboot to fix? Can you restart the browser after closing it to get it working? - Which browser are you using?

Can you tell us about your system? - The more we know the better we can assist!
Laptop or Desktop? - New or Old? Have you tried the latest drivers?

Reaction score
Closing and restarting the browser doesn't help. I use Firefox but when this happens the situation is the same in IE.
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop with 2 GB RAM, the processor is a Core Duo 1.83 GHz.
It is 3 years old. I didn't have this problem with the beta version.

Reaction score
what you should do, to repair a dirty disk drive is...
click -> start -> run, and type in chkdsk /r

This will not just check the disk that your on about but it will also repair any faults in the drive also

Reaction score
It happened again so I ran chkdsk and now the disk is clean but it also wiped out my e-mail settings in Thunderbird. Why would this have happened?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be that you have a faulty drive and this could keep happening (or a borked install). What make is your hard drive and I'll find the in-depth diagnostic tools for you.

Reaction score
this happened on my sons computer, but it only showed up after he tried to run a program and there was a glitch... it was the RemoveWatermarkX64.. he didn't run as administrator.... it removed the watermark, but on next boot it ran thru the chkdsk...

don't know if this is related, but it might help....

was there any programs that were installed before this started?

Reaction score
Now when I start 7 and try to start Firefox it tells me it is already running and I need to close it before I can open it. How can it be running if I just started Windows?
I will try the SeaTools

Reaction score
try having a look at task manager and see if it is on there. if not sounds like a corrupt install/download. anywhom if this is the case, you will need to try and redownload it, and reinstall it.

Reaction score
I just rebooted and it is working at the moment. Probably not for long though.

Reaction score
yh firefox i meant. but as long as it is working now, thats good - until it crashes again. could be a software conflict maybe

Reaction score
How would I check that? I didn't have any of these problems with the beta.

Reaction score
what check for conflicts in the software?
i dont know of anyways to find conflicts, yet. but you could always try running firefox in an earlier version of windows, in compatablility mode.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was working fine yesterday. This morning when I tried to start Firefox I got a message it was already running,which it obviously wasn't. I think I am going to reinstall it and see what happens. I downloaded it again and burned a new install DVD.
Stay tuned.

Ask a Question