Crashing 64-Bit Win 7

Reaction score
I just started using a new Dell Optiplex 980 running Win 7 enterprise, 64-bit. It has crashed several times today, first when updating wallpaper, next when using control panel to update speakers. No warning, just shuts down. Only clue is that shut downs seem to happen when system attributes are being modified.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated,

thanks in advance

sl

Reaction score
Hi.

You can try your luck with running this command from an elevated command prompt:

Code:
sfc /scannow
You may also see this thread and post in the bsod section of the forum if your machine experiences them.

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html

If not, then type msinfo32 in the start menu and hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Rar or zip the saved file and attach to a post.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and advice in the linked thread about asking for assistance. I installed CPU-Z, and also learned that an elevated command prompt means command prompt with admin privs/

just as an FYI, I am a "self-taught" non expert in windows, but I am able to learn things, google terms, and figure things out.

I need to shift to my home machine-- and thus will not have access to the problematic machine until tomorrow. But thanks for the help so far.

sl

Hi.

You can try your luck with running this command from an elevated command prompt:

Code:
sfc /scannow
You may also see this thread and post in the bsod section of the forum if your machine experiences them.

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html

If not, then type msinfo32 in the start menu and hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Rar or zip the saved file and attach to a post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question