CPU Coolers - do I need one?

Reaction score
Have Win 7 64 Bit Home Prem
Intel i740 - 2.93 Ghz
Asus mobo P6T

Are CPU coolers (such as : Corsair CAFA50 A50 Air Series Performance CPU Cooler) for over clockers only?
Or would every day use benefit?

Thx

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What you're asking is, I am assuming, is about Heat-pipe Direct Touch CPU coolers.

They're not a necessity but do keep your CPU cooler regardless of whether you overclock or not.

I use a Xigmatech (see my computer specs) and I really like it. These do an excellent job for what they're designed for. They usually keep a CPU 4-8 degrees Celsius cooler than stock ones, but depends on the CPU.

These HDT coolers definitely do a better job that the stock coolers, especially Intel. AMD supplies a heat-pipe cooler for their CPUs.

The cooler you can keep your computer's CPU the longer it will last. As Digerati states in his signature bar: Heat is the bane of all electronics.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Of course if you do change heat sinks, make sure you get the right thermal paste to seal the gaps in between.

Reaction score
If you do a bit of a search on the net you should find some handy links for fitting the cooler and paste to your CPU. Even the best coolers need some 'lapping in" to get a good surface to surface contact and there are ways to put the paste on that gives better coverage. I'd give you a link but did not bookmark it myself.
Don't go overboard with the paste a little can go a long way, you just want an even coverage over the contact area.
imho you cant really have too much cooling (well you could but not in the real world) and the more you keep temps stable the better your component life will be.

Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself. How about those of us living in the tropics who keep our PCs running 24/7 and use an AMD-based PC. Is it safe to assume that the stock AMD cooler won't be enough?

Reaction score
The better the cooler you have the more "headroom" you have in keeping temps under control. All quality coolers will do the job but like most things the more you move up the price range the better the component.
There's other things just as important, having a well ventilated case with good flow through ventilation. The best CPU cooler in the world wont gain you much if the temps are high inside the case due to poor airflow.
Keeps fans free from dust and make sure all the case grill filters(if you have them) are not clogged with dust.
Larger cases are generally better as the components are not so cramped inside and allow for better airflow..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Even the best coolers need some 'lapping in" to get a good surface to surface contact and there are ways to put the paste on that gives better coverage.
Not all HDT coolers need to be "lapped" or polished by using several progressions of emery sandpaper. The walls on the pipes have already been ground down and one should be careful on how they do it so as to not weaken the HDT pipe walls.

There are several good brands of TICs (thermal interface compound) on the market these days. It's too bad too many novices use the generic stuff that comes with some coolers. The high-end and aftermarket coolers usually include a good quality compound. Some compounds need a break-in period, others don't. The newer ones don't need any break-in time and give good results from the start. All compounds will improve with a few days time and a several shut-down cycles.

Here's an excellent article from Benchmark Reviews.com on how to apply thermal compounds, the different methods and different styles of CPU coolers.

Best Thermal Paste Application Methods

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself. How about those of us living in the tropics who keep our PCs running 24/7 and use an AMD-based PC. Is it safe to assume that the stock AMD cooler won't be enough?
It's easy enough to monitor with any number of free programs. These have all been posted by others here.

http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-do-you-know-when-a-cpu-is-running-too-hot/

http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html (Sensors)

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My canned text on CPU warranties:
It should be noted that using a 3rd party cooler on retail (not OEM) versions of Intel and AMD CPUs that come supplied with heat sink fan assemblies voids the warranty!!! And damage attributed to overclocking is not covered under any CPU, motherboard, or cooler warranty either, regardless any overclocking features or software provided by motherboard makers. Certainly, this is not a concern for some enthusiasts. But it is a concern for many others, and everyone should be aware of it.

Intel CPU Warranty Information (my bold added)
Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ... if the Product is properly used and installed, for a period of three (3) years. This Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications

AMD CPU Warranty Information (their bold)
AMD is more straightforward on their page where it says the following concerning their retail, Processor In A Box (PIB), versions of their CPUs:
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

This limited warranty does not cover damages due to external causes, including improper use, problems with electrical power, accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing.
The good news is since both AMD and Intel warranty their boxed CPUs for three years, and since replacing them at their cost is not something they want to do, they provide excellent cooling solutions both in terms of cooling abilities, and also in noise levels.​

As to the question about the tropics - understand NO cooler can cool a CPU cooler than the ambient temperature of the air inside the case. It is the case's responsibility to move hot air out of the case. But if the room temperature is 90°F, it is not likely any case or HSF will do and the computer will have to be located in a climate controlled (air conditioned) environment.

Also note that too much TIM (thermal interface material) is counterproductive. The best heat transfer occurs with metal to metal contact. The primary purpose of TIM is to push out the trapped, insulating air in the microscopic pits and valleys of the mating surfaces of the CPU die and heatsink. Any extra TIM hinders the desired metal to metal contact.

Ask a Question