Corrupted User Account?

Reaction score
I think that the title of this thread may be a little misleading, but I'm not exactly sure what else would apply. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I have 3 user accounts: the Admin account, another account that has almost never been used and the account that I use on a daily basis.

Sometime during the past couple of months, I noticed that some of the applications I have installed exhibit odd behavior, such as freezes, mouse pointer skipping, slow response when changing directories in Explorer, etc. The oddities are very broad in nature. One particular app is Cinema 4D 12. Running it when I'm logged in to the account I use every day causes it to freeze very frequently and especially if I try to resize one of its tool palettes. Out of curiosity, I ran C4D 12 while logged into the "almost never used" account. It worked perfectly. Also, other problems that I noticed in my daily account were not present in this other one.

So, I can only assume that there's something wrong with the account I use every day. I have no idea how to trace down the problem since it affects nearly everything, and I'm wondering what the best way to handle this would be.

Would it make sense to just use the other account and migrate my documents into that? I'm concerned that doing so might affect other software that I have installed - but if it means fewer problems, then that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!

Reaction score
Also, besides running disk cleanup to remove your temp files, check to see if there are any updates available for the software you use. Update your antivirus software, download, install and update Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org. Then restart your computer, keep pressing F8 key on keyboard and select Safe Mode. In Safe Mode run full scans with your antivurus software and Malwarebytes. Remove anything either finds. Now while still in Safe Mode type cmd into the start menu's search box on the bottom, right click on cmd.exe and select RunaAs Administrator. In the command prompt window that opens type in sfc /scannow and press enteron your keyboard. Also try running check disk on your hard drive. If none of this solves your problem try searching for updated drivers for your computer's hardware.

Reaction score
TrainableMan - While your suggestion didn't solve the problem directly, it did help to get rid of about 3GB of dead weight from my laptop! Thank you!

Reaction score
brkkab123 - I followed your recommendations. Malwarebytes found some questionable items, and everything else seemed to be OK. I'm going to check for driver/software updates and see if I can gain any ground there. Thanks!

Ask a Question