Computer Virus

Reaction score
Ok so I have Vista running on my computer currently and It appears I have had something that has corrupted my files hard drive SOMETHING. When I try to turn it on I get the big blue crash screen. So I purchased a Windows 2000 disc with a Windows 7 Upgrade disc. When I throw in the 2000 to try and wipe it clean its telling me to do a CHKDSK /f. How do I get this resolved to where I can just start fresh on the computer.

Thank You!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
spam f8 key as you boot. when you get the boot menu select command prompt option. once in the command prompt, try format c: or whatever the drive letter for your system drive is (this sometimes changes when you boot from optical media). if it's no go try running chkdsk on the drive with the /f option. alternatively just use fdisk to repartition.

or the easiest option might be to download and burn clonezilla. i've never used it but i hear good tell.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You may have to run chkdsk /r from the Win2K Recovery Console. Note the /r which conducts a more thorough examination of the disk than the /f switch. Also note there is a space before the "/".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ok so I have Vista running on my computer currently and It appears I have had something that has corrupted my files hard drive SOMETHING
It could be a virus or your hard drive could be going bad (chkdsk should tell you of drive problems).

Since you mentioned "Virus", update your anti-virus and run a full scan. Download, install & update, and then run Malwarebytes. And try downloading and running the various iterations of RKill.

Reaction score
Thanks For all your help. Here is the problem I am encountering It is an Acer computer and when I try to spam f8 it does not work. instead it goes straight to startup and i get the blue screen. Should I try leaving the discs out then spamming f8. Pretty much I just want to wipe the computer clean and start fresh on it. Im sure it shouldnt be that hard. Maybe wipe the hard drive? Oh and it is definitely a virus. The virus being "Anti-vir Solutions" Type of virus pretty much took out my whole computr

One more thing how do i update virus software if i cant get the computer to get to the desktop!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On my computer it's F4, try that. It should be from a fresh boot up.

Ask a Question