SOLVED CHKDSK

Reaction score
I like to run CHKDSK occasionally. The problem is that it takes a long time. If I can happen to be in front of the computer, I can just about spot the report as it flashes up briefly, which to date always tells me that there are 0 bytes in bad areas, but I really don't want to sit watching CHKDSK for ages. My question is, that if there does happen to be a problem with bad areas, will the report freeze until acknowledged, or is it saved somewhere where it can be read?:dontknow:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open The Event Log.in Control Panel (Classic View) -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer (3rd choice)

The ChkDsk Log is found in..Windows Logs (2nd choice on left) -> Application (1st sub-choice)

Look down the list of logs, look for the item Wininit in the source column. This will contain the log data for the ChkDsk scan prior to the boot.

Reaction score
Many thanks, but what a palaver. There were hundreds of entries there, but I eventually found what I was looking for. I just don't understand why the information does not stay in the open window until finished with.:dontknow:

As a matter of interest, I found the event viewer by a more roundabout way. How can I show the control panel in Classic View please?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks, but what a palaver. There were hundreds of entries there, but I eventually found what I was looking for. I just don't understand why the information does not stay in the open window until finished with.:dontknow:

As a matter of interest, I found the event viewer by a more roundabout way. How can I show the control panel in Classic View please?
Change the view from Category to either small or large icons.

Ask a Question