ChkDsk won't go

Reaction score
I can't get check disk to work even following advice herein. Am getting warning of corrupted files and sectors, also infiltrated files using ESET security. But can't get Win 7 to chkdsk to repair. would it be a good idea to reinstall Win 7 over previous install?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'd back up data and use an actual partitioning tool such as Paragon or Acronis to format the drive while checking for bad sectors. Depending on the number of bad sectors found I'd either keep the drive and set up a really good backup scenario or trash the drive. Some bad sectors is okay, an increasing number of them suggests it's on its last legs.

Reaction score
It won't accept restore points until chkdsk is run, and won't run chkdsk because "bad sectors". bad loop, that will require re-install I presume.

Reaction score
that helps, I'm thinking the "bad sector" message is bogus. my wife runs Farmville with the gamer unite addon to snag gifts. I did delete (I hope) a trojan horse file that had invaded my grandchild's guest login files. I think at this point a re-install or re-partition is overkill, but I do have backups if it becomes necessary. I'll hold off for now. Thanks for options.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Imcfeete, welcome to the forum! What you may need to do is run a quality online virus scanner. The ESET Online Scanner is among best of the lot, it uses the very same scan engine as NOD32 AV does.

It's best to run it through IE, as you can select advanced scanning options, such as scanning archives, and check for bad programs.

It can be found at:

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question