Certificate issue?

Reaction score
Since a few weeks I'm having problems with secure sites. This is what happens:

Can't visit https sites with IE9 or Chrome :(, but I can with FF :) :confused:.
Secunia PSI cannot establish a network connection
Windows updates fails with a 80096001 error
When I try to download IE9 RC Windows genuine validations needs to run. It terminates with an 80072f7d error.
Couldn't install IE9 or W7 SP1 (directly or thru Windows Update). Errorcode: 0x800f0902.
Outlook complains about the certificate from GMail.

Activated the administrator account. same problem. Ran the Windows Update Fixit (50202). Windows Update ran fine and installed SP1. Installed IE9 RC. Could connect to https sites. Secunia PSI connected fine.

Switched back to "old" user (with admin rights). Still the same problems.Running the Windows Update Fixit (50202) didn't help.

My guess is that it might hace something to do with corrupted security certificates or something else in that area. Cryptographic service is running fine.

I´m stumped :confused:. Anyone have any ideas?

Tia.

Rik

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would try putting in your system disk and try a repair.

First hunch: Have you run any registry or disk space cleaners on your computer? Some are dangerous and delete good/needed files. We recommend CCleaner because it is safe when so many others aren't.

I don't know if you need this or not but it sounds like your windows activation may have been screwed up so you might check out THIS post and see Draceena's solution.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm using CCleaner. Given the fact that the problem seems user dependent I'm not ready yet to do a repair. I'd rather try to correct the problem for this one user with losing settings etc.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I didn't say reinstall, all a system repair does is validate all the OS files and fix any that are missing, have a bad bit, etc. It will not change user settings.

Reaction score
I understand, but given that the problem does not exist for all users it would not seem to be a matter of missing or corrupt system files, but rather (I suspect) a matter of missing or corrupt certificate files or something like that.

Reaction score
ive seen problems be per user account doing what trainableman say should fix

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You are right, I don't think it will help. Based on this and your IE not working I suspect you seriously screwed up your registry. I would just reinstall because I suspect your problems are just going to keep getting worse.

...or...

use an account that works and delete the one that's messed up ... and pray it was just that 1 account.

Ask a Question