SOLVED Can't cd to D: in Command Window

Reaction score
I have a Dell T1600, W7 pro 64. In the Windows Command window, I can not cd from the C: directory to the anything in the D: directory, which is on a different disk. I can do a dir of it and it shows up in Windows Explorer. Any help would be appreciated.
Lou

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would be having issues. Nothing has changed with how CD command works within command-line interface. If it once worked for you, it should still work for you now.

Try this:
  • Place the folder path in quotes. The quotes are important if any of your folder levels include a space.
  • The path string is not case sensitive, so capitalization is not important.

Example:
  • D:\
  • CD "D:\Data Storage"

Question, are you viewing D when changing the directory. If you are not viewing D then it would appear nothing has happened.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford,
Thanks for your reply. This is what I am doing:
C:\>cd D:
D:\
C:\>
The D:\ appears but I am still at the C: prompt. Using quotes does not change things. The only thing that I can recall that I have changed lately are permissions, but I made them less restrictive, not more.
Lou

Reaction score
To change drives, don't use the CD command. The CD command is for changing the directory path.

Type "C:" for C drive.
Type "D:" for D drive.

Once the drive you want is showing use the CD command to change directories.

Example:
  • D:\
  • CD "D:\Data Storage"
The first line of my example takes you to D drive.
The next line then changes the directory path.

Reaction score
How Dumb Of Me(HDOM?). My only excuse is I have been working with Cygwin and that Linux like environment permits cding to a different drive. Thank you VERY much for your help.
Lou

Reaction score
I didn't think it was a dumb question. :)

Navigation from command-line is slowly becoming a lost technique. Only the old farts and computer gurus, know how to use DOS commands these days.

I would give anyone a plus for attempting to keep DOS alive. :)

Reaction score
... Only the old farts and computer gurus,...
I qualify as the former, not the latter. :)
Lou

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You don't need the current directory identifier/parameter when locating to a new drive.

Example:
Code:
D:
That will move you to the drive allocated with the drive letter D.

Use the cd\ command line to navigate to the root of the current drive.

Ask a Question