SOLVED Cannot stay connected to wifi

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is a Windows problem or wireless router problem, but here goes...

My laptop, HP dv6 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, connects to my D-Link wireless router with no problems. I also can connect to my router with my phone (Android), no problem. However, when a friend tries to connect with her Leveno laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, she cannot stay connected (and never stays connect long enough to get to a web page).

Also, when she connects, my laptop disconnects, then reconnects after a few minutes. While she tries to connect, I can see her MAC address show up while I on my router's homepage. So she can briefly connect, but almost immediately it disconnects her.

Any suggestions on what settings to check? I have looked at her wireless network proprieties for my access point and everything is the same as on my laptop. She can connect to other wireless networks with no problems. So it looks like it is just a combination of her laptop and my router.....

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Try unplugging the router and let it sit for about a two minutes then plug it back in, then try to connect with both computers and see how it works out.

Does the router have the latest firmware update? Have you checked your wireless security settings?

You may need to do a "hard reset" of the router by pressing the little reset button on the back of the router, hold for about 20 seconds and then let go. Use a ballpoint pen tip or a pencil point to do this as the button is real tiny. This will reset the router to it's factory default settings. Then you can logon to the router and set up the wireless security again and all should be good.

IF you do a firmware update, the router MUST BE hardwired to your laptop with an ethernet cable or it won't work on the update or it may foul it up. This is because an ethernet connection is necessary to access the firmware "bin" file (usually that's what it is) that is downloaded and stored on your laptop.

Also, check your router user manual for more info.

Reaction score
I have already unplugged both the router and dsl modem's power supply and plugged them back in. I also turned off the security and the same thing happened. I might try the resetting of the router next time she is here and see if that does anything.

My router is about 7 years old..... I wonder if it is just time to upgrade my router? I am guessing the problem is really with my router, since she can connect to other wireless networks with no problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You didn't specify what model you have so I couldn't check but I would suggest you update your firmware as Nibs mentioned.
D-Link

Her laptop may have Wireless N technology and at 7yrs old your router would not so her computer would have to drop back to G; of course it should do that, not disconnect, but I wonder if that could somehow be involved.

Reaction score
I have a D-Link DI-524. It does have the latest firmware, as far as I can tell, which is June 2006! You are right, mine is just G, not N.

I am thinking buying a new router might be the thing to do. I guess I can always return the new router if that isn't the problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well apparently it depends on the Revision number
For Dl-524 with no revision it tells me the latest is Firmware ver:1.23 dated:Aug/16/2006

If you have a RevC etc then the firmware may be different. Once I picked one I couldn't reset it to pick the other Revisions so figure out which you have and verify you definitely have the latest.

It could also be hers is trying to use WPA2 encryption which doesn't exist on your router. I don't know, I'm not an expert on which of this stuff will downgrade automatically but it's another potential difference.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Support for your router was discontinued in Feb of 2008. It's in legacy mode as it's called.

I would purchase a new router, Wireless N is what you should get.

I recommend Netgear, they make very good routers, even their entry-level models.

Reaction score
Just an update, I purchased a Belkin Surf N300 wireless router and so far both laptops are connecting with no problems. Thanks for all the suggestions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went ahead and mark this thread as solved.

Glad you got it working.

Ask a Question