cannot e-mail out

Reaction score
My wife is not able to e-mail out on her account. I have talked to bell aliant and microsoft with no results. When she presses the button to e-mail the message "Cannot open e-mail" appears. There is no code just an exclamation mark in yellow. Any suggestions from anyone who has had this problem before. My account is fine. thanks jim

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You really need to specify more information. Does she use web-based mail (hotmail, gmail, yahoo) or your ISPs POP server. If using the ISP pop server then what program (Microsoft Outlook, etc) does she use to email? What anti-virus and firewall do you use?

You said yours works. Are you using the same computer? Same account on that computer? Same mail client as your wife?

Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to the address on your reply but it came back. We use Windows firewall with Windows live mail. Our server is bell aliant. We have no anti-virus, just fix-it utilities. I spent several hours talking with bell aliant and they seemed to think that my wife was blacklisted. I looked it up using our IP address and it was on the list. How it got there we don't know because we don't even know what spam is. She seems to think it happened when she opened an e-mail from our son in Taiwan. Thanks Jim

Reaction score
She uses her POP server. We don't use gmail, Hotmail, or yahoo.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You cannot reply to the emails sent automatically from this site, noreply @ w7forums.com is not monitored, thus the meaning of "noreply". It is simply a notice to you to come check out the updates to the thread.

Every computer with internet access needs an anti-virus. If she opened an email with malicious content then your computer may have been infected and it is very possible her email was used to spam more malicious emails to others, often to the very people in her friends list. And yes such spamming could get her account blacklisted (ie blocked).

You should scan your computer for viruses and install an anti-virus. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a good A/V and is available free but there are many choices available. There are even online A/Vs available for a one-time scan. But for full-time protection you need an active Anti-Virus installed on your computer, updated regularly, and monitoring your web and email constantly.

After you have installed anti-virus software and are sure your computer is virus-free then I recommend you simply create a new email account for your wife (most ISPs allow for up to 5).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the anti-virus site. In the 60's I used punch cards on a computer and then used fortran 4 and lotus 123 to do all our office work. When they came out with Windows I was lost. I upgraded to explorer 10. I will add an extra account. My scan said no viruses. You are amazing with your knowledge. thanks again for your much appreciated help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I learned FORTRAN and punch cards in college but never used either after that. I do remember Lotus 1-2-3 running in windows 3.11 but it was quickly overwhelmed by Microsoft Excel a few years later.

Reaction score
trainable man, I'm not sure who is the genius here but I'll bow to you. Creating the new account worked beautifully. I had to go through bell aliant of course but after 6 months with no e-mails out she is finally happy. Now what do I do to get her programs from her old account to her new one. Do I download them again on the new account or can they be transferred from one to the other. i.e. facebook, Skype, etc. I think you should give me trainable man and take trained man for yourself. You are teaching me a lot thanks so much. Jim

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well of course she will need to notify all her email friends of her new email address and if she subscribes to any newsletters, etc she will need to resubscribe with the new address.

Websites like Facebook, Forums, her bank (if she does online banking), credit cards, medical care, credit cards, etc ... basically any site that sends her emails or where she pays bills online, she will need to go to those websites and change her profile on each one to point to the new address.

As for programs that are installed on your local PC, such as Skype, she should be able to open the programs and go to the options/settings to change her email.

Obviously this is all a lot of work but it is what you have to do any time you change your email.

Ask a Question