SOLVED Can Windows 7 Move?

Reaction score
I have used XP for years now and am thinking about moving to Windows 7, but I am always trying something different (i.e. new motherboard or new hard drive, etc.) and was wondering if that was possible with Windows 7 or if you would have to buy another copy every time you change something and needed to do a clean install?

Reaction score
The retail versions of Windows 7 can be moved from one machine to another. OEM versions are bound to the hardware they are installed on during Windows Activation.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Bubba_Jr, welcome to the forum!

I like to move things around too, on a spare notebook. If you plan on this, then I highly suggest that you buy a full retail (no OEM, no upgrade) version of Windows 7.

Speaking of 7, I also used XP for years, still do sometimes, but in Nov 2009 when I bought this desktop, for the most part, I've kicked XP to the curb. Win 7 is more reliable, requires fewer resources to run (any computer built to run Vista can breeze through 7), and is a better overall OS.

I think that you'll like it, and provided you buy a full retail (avoid eBay like a plague for this) at a reputable dealer (such as Newegg or the Microsoft Store), you can move it around all you want.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I don't share my software, but I understand that it's a concern for companies to protect their products. I found out the hard way on McAfee 3 license disk, 1 used per motherboard.

Ask a Question