BSOD

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have win7 ultimate and its great...except it keeps crashing every day. BSOD's are random. Sometimes it just freezes but, in most cases, my fan stops than everything freezes on my monitor ( not responding) and than BSOD. My dump files are not "small memory dump" type because after the crash they are not written. I have one memory dump file and its 146mb.

http://rapidshare.com/files/383988616/MEMORY.rar.html

i have already tried Memtest86, chdsk, updating drivers and no errors were found ( except in event viewer - critical/ kernell power// id 41 task 63 )
That's the link of a dump file. One and only. So...if you could tell me what's the problem i would be veeeeery grateful. Btw, i have new ext.HDD that i bought few weeks ago, so have that in mind. And yes, please tell me why my dump files are not written regularly. Thank you

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you tried checking for registry problems?
That might help. You'll find loads of registry cleaners on the web, so just run one and tell me the result.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
That might help. You'll find loads of registry cleaners on the web, so just run one and tell me the result.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
alright. did that. now we'll see what happens. thx for a responce.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Fire Cat, it's best to avoid many of these "loads of registry cleaners on the web". Many of these outfits are simply con artists behind a keyboard, selling "snake oil", as it's often called. Oftentimes, the best registry cleaner is no registry cleaner, but if you really need one, here are two good free ones. CCleaner has this function, it does a quick scan, you can check off the ones you want, or check them all. It offers you an option to backup the files first, always do this. It normally stores the file in your documents. Then click "fix". There's another good free one, by Microsoft, Windows Live Safety Scanner. They have a Windows 7/Vista one & a XP & below one. It scans your entire system, looking for viruses, open ports, fragmentation percentage, too many temp files, and finally your registry scan. After the scan (which may take two or more hours), you'll be presented with a list of potential problems to solve. Select the ones you wish, the program will create a restore point, then repair your computer. Afterwards, you have the option to send the results to Microsoft. You don't have to, but it's a good idea to do so. This allows them to make a better product for you to use. But the others, beware, and especially watch those that displays a Microsoft "gold" partner, or whatever. Microsoft does NOT endorse these products at all. Anyone can be a "partner" of Microsoft, if they have the money to join. So please be careful with the registry, or you'll be worse off than before.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Fire Cat, it's best to avoid many of these "loads of registry cleaners on the web". Many of these outfits are simply con artists behind a keyboard, selling "snake oil", as it's often called. Oftentimes, the best registry cleaner is no registry cleaner, but if you really need one, here are two good free ones. CCleaner has this function, it does a quick scan, you can check off the ones you want, or check them all. It offers you an option to backup the files first, always do this. It normally stores the file in your documents. Then click "fix". There's another good free one, by Microsoft, Windows Live Safety Scanner. They have a Windows 7/Vista one & a XP & below one. It scans your entire system, looking for viruses, open ports, fragmentation percentage, too many temp files, and finally your registry scan. After the scan (which may take two or more hours), you'll be presented with a list of potential problems to solve. Select the ones you wish, the program will create a restore point, then repair your computer. Afterwards, you have the option to send the results to Microsoft. You don't have to, but it's a good idea to do so. This allows them to make a better product for you to use. But the others, beware, and especially watch those that displays a Microsoft "gold" partner, or whatever. Microsoft does NOT endorse these products at all. Anyone can be a "partner" of Microsoft, if they have the money to join. So please be careful with the registry, or you'll be worse off than before.
Sure! Thanks.

Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Registry errors can cause erratic system functioning so I do agree with fire cat that running a registry check with a good product is a good idea for this users problem.

I also agree with catilley that some of these products can be worthless and even dangerous that is why I try to recommend products I have used for years and CCleaner, which Catilley mentioned, would be such a product:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update?v=2.31.1153&l=1033

Note that you want to use the second icon down "Registry" to clean your registry. First you scan, then you fix. And when it asks you if you want to back up the registry first, say yes and store the file someplace safe - if anything gets "cleaned" that shouldn't this could be used to recover.

BTW, the first icon in CCleaner is for recovering HD space by deleting temporary files, etc (some of which you may want to keep around). I do not agree with cleaning everything CCleaner offers. If you don't want to loose settings, URL history, customization you did to your folders, etc then disable ones you are not sure about, example I uncheck COOKIES & Autocomplete because I have some cookies I like kept around so my ID is there when I get there. I also Only use the top half of SYSTEM, leaving my shortcuts etc alone. And I disable all of ADVANCED. Frankly HD space is cheap these days, I have 1.5 TB and I have room for a little clutter.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
TrainableMan is 100% correct on this, you can easily delete something you want to keep, so be cautious as to what you check. Some of the "cleaning" can cause more harm than good, and make it appear as though your registry is the problem, when in fact, too many good files can be easily deleted. Now one thing, CCleaner cannot delete files having to do with your OS, but may delete files having to do with your programs. Although many temporary files can be safely deleted, you may need some of them. An excellent example is a virtual machine (VM). Many of the VM's files ARE considered to be temporary files, and I damaged a VM beyond repair by having "temporary files" checked to clean. I had to uninstall what was left over and start all over. So TrainableMan makes an excellent point here. Uncheck what you're unsure of, or risk program damage. This is not to be confused with "Temporary Internet Files", which can be safely deleted.

Reaction score
very interesting conversation i must say, but, it's a second day since my registry clean up and my pc haven't crashed once. And my first try to fix my pc was with ccleaner. I really hope my problem is solved. Thanks to all of you on feedback and hopefully i won't be visiting this thread anymore :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
data, I hope that your issue is corrected, too. CCleaner is a good program, as has been mentioned above, as long as you use it wisely. Should you require further assistance on this or anything else, always feel free to post.

Reaction score
alright then, guess i was wrong ( or too enthusiastic ) about my computer. BSOD again. check my dump file. thanks

Attachments

Ask a Question