SOLVED Bookmarks

Reaction score
I'm new to Windows 7 and here's what I'm trying to do. I saved my Bookmark to a Disk and put them in a directory here on a new Windows 7 laptop.
When I go to import the bookmark file from that directory into IE8, all it allows me to do is "Open" and that is far as I can get.
Any suggestions to help me out will be appreciated. Thanks!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Is the following the procedure you followed?

Microsoft said:
Import Favorites to Internet Explorer 8
  1. In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
  2. Click Import from a file, and then click Next.
  3. Click to select the Favorites check box, and then click Next.
  4. By default, Internet Explorer creates a Bookmark.htm file in your Documents folder. However, you can import favorites that are saved under another name. To do this, click Browse, select a file or type a location and file name, and then click Next.
  5. Select the folder where you want to put the imported bookmarks, and then click Import.
  6. Click Finish.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Favorites or bookmarks?
If you have saved your favourites, direct from an old IE favourites folder, the easiest way is to drag and drop them, with Windows explorer, to Users -username - favorites folder.
If they are in bookmark.htm format, then Microsoft's method may work, but gut feeling tells me you do not have an .htm file in the location suggested, or in your disk?.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Core, I had gone to File, then to Import, then to File and this is where I ran into trouble. The only option it gave me was Open and I couldn't get any further.

Davehc, since the Bookmarks was an htm file, the drag & drop (or I actually copied and pasted it into the Favorites and this worked. Please don't ask why I didn't try this - let's talk about something else!!!???!

I appreciate you fellows coming in on this. Thanks again!!!

Ask a Question