Black Screen

Reaction score
Hi,

After installing windows 7 upgrade 32 bit, I get a black screen after the windows logo loading screen. The monitor does not go into sleep mode, I can't see a mouse or cursor and even if I go into safe mode it still has the same issue. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Quite honestly your issue is far too vague.

Did you upgrade from XP or Vista?

If upgrading from Vista there are known issues so it is recommended you still format and do a fresh install (first backing up your logon settings and data with Windows Easy Transfer). In the long run most users experience less problems, though it does mean reinstalling all your programs.

Are you sure you have a legitimate copy? Windows will display a black desktop to illegal copies.

It's also possible you have the wrong video driver though since you say it is the same in safe mode this doesn't seem to be the big issue.

Are you sure your hardware was W7 compatible? Did you run the W7 Upgrade Advisor? What is the computer make/model?

Most likely I would back-up the data, format the HD, and try reinstalling.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Upgrading from XP Pro
Legitimate copy
I ran the W7 compatibility software and all was ok. Had a little i, said something about may not have driver once installed.
I have un-installed fresh and tried again but same result.
Computer is a AMD Socket 754, 2.0 Ghz, 1.5Ghz RAM.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Was the driver it mentioned a video driver because that could well explain why you don't get picture?

Do you have a video card (if so make/model) or are you trying to use the on board VGA?

Reaction score
Performing a ‘System restore’ is a solution to fix the black screen of death in your Windows7 Operating System. This is an easy task as well. In case the problem has occurred due to the latest update from Microsoft, you simply should start Windows 7 in ‘Safe’ mode and take your system back to the date before the last update using the ‘System Restore’ functionality. Starting the computer in ‘Safe’ Mode will help you to identify whether the problem is related to hardware or software. If your system loads properly in the ‘Safe’ mode, then you can confirm that the error is caused by problem in any software. If your system does not enter the ‘Safe’ mode, then the problem is basically related to hardware errors. Overheating and using the wrong drivers will lead to hardware errors.

Ask a Question