Application Experience Kills Internet

Reaction score
Once ever "few hours or so" - I haven't been able to find a pattern - I lose all internet connectivity. I still have an IP address and am able to ping and reach the configuration page of my router, but nothing else. I also lose remote access to computers within the LAN (which can still connect to internet, so it isn't a gateway problem). This is to say that if another PC is streaming a video from my PC, at the same time I lose internet (but keep IP connectivity) the other PC loses the video.

I had to restart my PC each time this happened to regain internet access, until after looking through the event viewer I discovered that the perp was the "Application Experience" service. It entered the stopped state and then the running state just seconds before internet is lost. I stop the service and internet comes back. Internet is all web browsers, messaging programs, ping outside FQDN and IP addresses. What is happening?

I currently have the service disabled, but I did so just seconds before I made this post so I don't know what if any side effects I will see.

Running Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

I hope I made this clear, thanks.

Reaction score
I too had issues with the Application Experience service shutting down.

I am suspecting the Green Ethernet setting on my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller card which recently got its driver updated.

I went into the Device Manager, Relatek device, properties, Advanced,
and disabled Green Ethernet
Also I set the Speed & Duplex to a fixed value.

Immediately, I lost the internet, but it came back.

*crossing fingers*

The green ethernet feature does not sound all baked-in to me... and I could see how it's not detecting your particular application's usage, and turning down the speed in the middle of your usage, causing a glitch that your app may not be ready to recover from.

Ask a Question