another backup problem

Reaction score
Hi! I have a new Acer netbook that came with Window 7 home premium.
Yesterday I tried to do a backup and nothing happened. It said that the backup was not set but when I clicked on the button to set it I got into the directory of the system files with no other info on what to do next.!

After reading several posts on the net, I did manage to create a system image on an external drive and that did seem to work. I am not sure what the difference is between that and a backup.

Should i just re-do a system image regularly? the problem there is that i dont know how to it if i ever need to do a restore.

Instead I would like to set up regular automatic back-ups.
I know that there has been many discussions on the backup-restore problem.
Any help appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An image is like a photocopy of the original - if you had to restore you would use the software to restore the image and it would be as if you started over on the day the image was taken. Everything you did since then would be lost unless you copy it off to a flash drive or DVD prior to image restore.

When you go to Control Panel \ Backup and Restore are you saying it doesn't let you schedule a back-up?

Reaction score
Yes that what i am saying. when i go to Backup/restore i only get the message that backup has not been set but when i try to set it, nothin g happens.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you take a look at
THIS
and tell us where yours stops showing the screens in that article.

Have you tried your System repair disk to see if any windows OS files are corrupt?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi classez! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

I would advise against using the Windows 7 Backup utility, it's very buggy and is painfully slow... really!

Download a copy of Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - for personal use

It will do what you want and it's very fast too. Try it and see how well it works.

~Nibs

Ask a Question