SOLVED administrator rights

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 7 Home Premium for about 3 months now and this is the first time I've had a real problem. I am the only user on this computer so I am the administrator (no password set up either) and it has always been this way. I clicked on System Information to see if I have what I need to go wireless with my new laptop and printer. I got the message: Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions. What do I need to change? Where do I go to change them? I never had a problem doing this with WindowsXP.
Granjan

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
XP cannot, in most respects, be compared to Windows 7. Most functions, however, are still present but through different paths. From Vista, the UAC was evolved. This could be the problem.

Open Msconfig - Tools.
Click the "Tools" tab
Click "Change UAC Settings" and then launch (Bottom right)
Wind the scale to the bottom ans see if you now have access.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
I tried what you suggested but it didn't change anything. Any more suggestions?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Enable hidden/system file view in Explorer and try using Take Ownership on all system folders.

Not the most elegant solution, if it works, but if it works, then who cares.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, you may have administrator priviledges but with the added security in W7 you are not the administrator on record as owning the system files. You may be the only administrator visible but there is actually a hidden administrator account (with no login priviledges) that is given ownership to the windows files.

The first step I recommend is go to control panel \ user accounts
1) make sure it says you are an administrator
2) find the option at the bottom "change user account control settings" (also called UAC by microsoft). See at what level this is set. I have mine set to 0, you might try this and then see if you have access. Once you finish what you need you might set it back up to 1, maybe 2.

If that didn't solve your problem, the utility program Core linked to will allow you to assign access for your account to the files and folders BUT I wouldn't TAKE OWNERSHIP from the C: folder of every file; instead do it in stages, because from C: would run a long, long time as it dives into subdirectories. I would probably start with Documents and Settings and even that will run a pretty long time. Then try what you need again and if that doesn't give you the access you need, come back and let us know what it is doing, what you've tried and what happened so we can further evaluate.

Ask a Question