SOLVED 64 bit or 32 bit with my system?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was going to format my laptop but thought about 32bit or 62bit Windows 7. So I google'd a bit and read an article from here (https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html).

But I'm still not sure if my hardware will be able to support the 64 bit Windows 7.

So I thought you guys could help me out if I posted my specifications below.

ASUS F50SV
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz
16.0" HD screen
2GB RAM (will upgrade to 4GB if the rest can handle 64bit)
nVidia Geforce GT 120M 1GB

Thanks for any replies.

**EDIT** Oh wow..I found in the Performance Information and Tools section in the Control Panel, that it tells you if it's 64 bit capable.

I feel so dumb right now.

**EDIT2** So yeah, my system is 64 bit capable, but since I have the Windows Updates package files saved, so I don't need to re-download them, can I use the same ones on the 64 bit system? In other words, are the updates that I have for 32 bit, work on 64 bit?

Also, I have 2 slots for RAM. One is being used at the moment with a 2GB stick. I was wondering, should I get another 2GB stick? Or a 4GB stick to make it a total of 6GB? As I read that the minimum for a 64 bit OS is 4GB. Are 1 x 4GB sticks reliable or better to run 2 x 2GB in dual channel?

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
No, don't bother keeping your update files. Windows will automatically download the appropriate ones and I'm pretty sure the x86 updates are different than the x64 ones.

As for your RAM, I really wouldn't worry about reliability. RAM is RAM. Get what you can afford. Just make sure you don't get server RAM. One of my friends did that at some point and it was very annoying. In fact, I might even go with dual channel to be safe, but it really doesn't matter.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I would download new patches from Windows Update after system installation instead of using some saved packages. I have noticed that some patches I get from Windows Update are specific to the 64-bit architecture. It's just not worth it, in my opinion, to mess around with these things.

As for memory, before adding more than 4 GB I would look up the specs on the motherboard just to be sure it supports whatever amount you're thinking of upping it to.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply guys.

I'll certainly download new updates, and I will get another 2GB stick, as 4GB is the max I think.

Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question