32 bit windows 7

Reaction score
I bought a new computer and it already has 64 bit windows installed and I am a graphics designer and have a very expensive drawing program that does not support 64 bit as yet. I need to redo the windows 7 to 32 bit. How do I go about it. Is it complicated?

Reaction score
Hi.

Which program is this? Almost all 32 bit software works well in 64 bit Windows.

If it's Photoshop CS4 or CS5, it definitely works well.

Reaction score
32 bit vs 64 bit

The program is vinylmaster pro 2.99 and FurturaRIP
I have contacted support and they state is would work on 32 bit not 64 bit. The 64 bit version is not out yet but is coming soon.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did your new computer come with W7 32-bit discs? What version of windows do you have: starter, home basic, home premium, profession, ultimate, enterprise?

Reaction score
32 bit disks

I did not receive any disks with the computer. Everything is already loaded. It sates you have to make recovery disks. I suppose the programs are on the recovery disks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Those recovery discs would only be for the bit size shipped.

You did not state which version OS you have. If you have Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise then Microsoft offers Virtual PC - XP mode as a free download and it would be worth it to see if your old programs could run in the virtual window. This way you might be able to keep 64-bit and still run your software in a 32-bit virtual window. Oracle offers a similar freeware product that will run on the other OS versions but you will need to own XP discs as it doesn't include the OS and license.

It is possible to download the 32-bit version from Microsoft but you must download the same OS version as you own, example Home Premium. This does have some issues that you may consider disadvantages. First, if you want to switch to 32-bit this means a complete reinstall: you back up your data and then install the OS, reinstall your programs, and restore your data. Second, manufacturers "customize" the Windows shipped and any programs the manufacturer added, such as onscreen displays for volume or to handle extra keyboard hotkeys, would not be installed by default; these may be available from the manufacturer or freeware may be available. Third, if your computer has more than 3.25GB of memory, the 32-bit OS will not use the extra.

To provide the correct download links and to make the best recommendation please specify the version of OS you have.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
3 choices ...

1. If you have or can purchase a licensed copy of Windows XP you might try the Oracle's VirtualBox to run a Virtual 32-bit XP environment under W7x64. And then try running the older software in the virtual environment.

2. You can download the 32-bit Home Premium Here. Use a download manager to download the file (as it is huge and you will want to be able to resume if connection is lost) and then burn it to a DVD (can be done with a product like IMGBurn). Note: the 32-bit version may be available from the manufacturer, most likely for a fee, but it would have the advantage of including any of their custom software, so it may be worth a call to ask.

You will probably also be asked to enter your existing Windows 7 product key; download and install SIW then when you run it go to the Software .... Licenses section and write down the keys there.

It is recommended to go to the computer manufacturer's site, as well as the websites of your other components (video card, sound, network, etc) and download the 32-bit drivers so you have them and burn these to a CD. Most of these will be found automatically when you install W7x86 (32bit) but they aren't always the latest and most importantly you will have any that W7 can't find. You should also gather all your program discs as you will need to reinstall those after you reinstall the OS. Then back-up your data. And finally boot from the 32bit W7 DVD and install everything.

3. You may be able to buy more current Windows 7 compatible software to replace those 2 programs.

All Software listed in Bold is forum recommended freeware. See our list HERE.

Last edited:

Ask a Question