0x80070035

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've searched around for a solution to this problem but despite finding a few that seemed to work for others, none of them have worked for me.

Computer 1: Laptop running Windows 7 Home Basic connected to router wirelessly
Computer 2: Desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate connected by wire to router

Computer 1 has set up a HomeGroup.
Computer 2 has joined said group.

Computer 1 can connect to Computer 2 without issue, but Computer 2 cannot connect to Computer 1 despite it being visible in Windows Explorer.

Computer 2 can ping Computer 1 by name and by IP.

Firewall and Antivirus are disabled on both computers.
File and Printer Sharing is Enabled on both computers.

Any suggestions as to why I can't connect to my laptop from my desktop?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to THIS website, home basic cannot CREATE a homegroup, it can only join one. Try creating the homegroup on the Ultimate machine and then connecting the Home Basic to that homegroup.

While you are on the site I listed you might check out other limitations of Home Basic. Please note that the article is 20 months old so it is possible Microsoft eased some of those restrictions but that is all the info I have to go on; it is not even offered in this country.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
TM's right, Home Basic cannot create a home group, but can join one. There are other limitations to the OS, but one thing about the OS, it looks really good on older computers, especially notebooks. Not trying to force Aero to run, the screen looks as good as it's intended OS (2K or XP) does, slightly better.

I even have SP1 RC installed on it. However, it's unfortunate (probably a underhanded deal with the major OEM's) that the OS wasn't sold at retail. Had it been, many XP users could enjoy Windows 7 without the need to upgrade their video card (nearly impossible with notebooks). And XP would've taken a hard hit, had M$ sold a version of 7 that didn't require hardware changes. I've enjoyed 7 Home Basic for the last five to six months

But as far as the sharing goes, I don't care for it, I have my printer wired into my desktop & notebook. I guess, being something I've never done, I don't need (or miss) it.

Cat

But

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
However, it's unfortunate (probably a underhanded deal with the major OEM's) that the OS wasn't sold at retail. Had it been, many XP users could enjoy Windows 7 without the need to upgrade their video card (nearly impossible with notebooks).
Just FYI Cat,
Home Basic was created to be sold in underdeveloped countries where the OS is extremely expensive compared to the peoples income; in which case it can be more competitive with other OSes and for Microsoft a little income is preferable to rampant pirating. It was never meant to be sold in the USA as they would be undercutting their own market with a lower priced version.

Even the W7 Starter is limited to pre-installs on specific low-end netbooks simply because they aren't powerful enough to run Home Premium.

Last edited:

Ask a Question