0x00000e9 Error

Reaction score
Alright, I am having the 0x00000e9 error when I am trying to install Windows 7 64 bit on a newly built machine that does not have an OS installed and cannot get anywhere. I've tried a Windows XP 32 bit and got this error 0x0000007B which looks to be the same as the Win7 error. I swapped out 2 other hard drives, one of which I know works, but still got the same error. I've tried many of the solutions that were in other similar posts but nothing seems to work. The only difference is that I did get Ubuntu 12.04 to install with no problem but when I tried Windows 7 again it froze on the very first prompt that asks to pick a language.

List of my specs:

ASUS P8Z 68-V LX motherboard
Intel Core i5
Nvidia GTX 560
16 Gigs Corsair Vengance RAM
700 watt ModX Stream-Pro PSU

This is a computer that I am building for a friend and I am getting pretty desperate now. Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
This might not help but Can you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu? By pressing F8 at start up, where the option Repair Your Computer is. Then choose that. Logically if Ubuntu will load and function and your windows install disk has the correct check sum (IE: it is a good disk and not damaged.) then it sounds like there may be a disk controller issue with the MB that Unbuntu is doing an end run around.

FWIW -- I use Ubuntu and the Sun Virtual Box to run 3 different Windows systems. (Not at the same time! -- but that approach has had me computing smooth as smooth for years now. I also use an SSD so disk reads and writes are a total non issue. Ubuntu will boot to the full graphical login in about 6 to 7 seconds!)
Please do post a solution when you find one. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Still having no luck. I went through the menu and as far as I can see there is no option to repair anything. I've burned 2 different Win7 disks, an XP disk, and even created a bootable USB drive and still can't get past the language select prompt. I'll post the solution if I can find one.

Ask a Question