Restore Windows 7 settings after a failed Windows 8 install attempt?

Reaction score
When trying to install Visio 2013, a Windows 8 installation automatically started; telling me not to shut down my computer. Thus my own automatic reaction of pulling the plug.
Unfortunately, some aspects of Win7 appear to be broken, including the spell check, macro functions (ie. can't load normal.dotm or normal.docm), and Outlook functionality. I would like, dearly, to recover these settings.
I do not, upon any circumstances, wish to have to upgrade.

Reaction score
Hello Etherknight,

Please try the following steps:
Turn the computer off.
Turn it on and Tap the F8 key multiple times.
From Advance Option, select Safe Mode and hit enter.
Once in Safe Mode, click on Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.
Select the date prior to the when the upgrade was initiated and click on finish.
This should restore the computer to an earlier date and restore the settings.
Additionally, you can run the SFC scan. This would ensure that there is no integrity issue with the system files.
For initiating SFC Scan, click on Start and in the search box type: CMD. Right click on command prompt and click on Run as Administrator. Once the command prompt window is open, type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

For Outlook and other Office related issue, you can try to repair Office from control panel.
Once again, click on Start and type appwiz.cpl and hit enter. Look for Microsoft Office. Right click on the same and click on Change. Select Repair and follow the on screen prompt.

All the best.

Regards,
Edwin S |Tech Support Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question