Keyboard Layout

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to create a new Keybord Layout and it just can't seems to be done on Window 7 (family edition).
I downloaded Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, but it will only work in 32 bit mode. Somebody told me to use Microsoft virtual XP, but you don't have acces to that with the family edition... Anybody can help ?

Thanks.

Étienne

Reaction score
What version do you have? Are you using the latest version?
According to the following link/quotes, I see no reason for issues on Windows 7 for either bit version using Version 1.4.
To install and use MSKLC 1.4, your system must meet the following requirements:
  • Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. (MSKLC 1.4 will not run on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows NT 4.)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0 must be installed. If you have not already installed this version of the .NET Framework, you can do so from the following URL: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
  • Note that MSKLC 1.4 is a 32-bit application. It will run on 64-bit systems, but in 32-bit mode.
The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
Ever wanted to quickly and easily define your own keyboard layout for a language Microsoft doesn't support? Or define your own keyboard layout so you can quickly and easily enter your favorite symbols with a simple keystroke? Have the keyboard work on 64-bit platforms, or make use of custom locales in Windows 7 to provide new language names? Well, want no more: the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is here!

The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) extends the international functionality of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 systems by allowing users to:
  • Create new keyboard layouts from scratch
  • Base a new layout on an existing one
  • Modify an existing keyboard layout and build a new layout from it
  • Multilingual input locales within edit control fields
  • Build keyboard layout DLLs for x86, x64, and IA64 platforms
  • Package the resulting keyboard layouts for subsequent delivery and installation
The older version of MSKLC (version 1.3) is still available and will work on all downlevel Windows platforms. It requires version 1.0 or 1.1 of the .NET Framework.

Reaction score
Hello, Clifford.

If you look at the very end of the first box you pasted, you will see what I think is my problem :
Note that MSKLC 1.4 is a 32-bit application. It will run on 64-bit systems, but in 32-bit mode.

Reaction score
What I'm trying to do right now, is to go on my mom's computer (wich is in XP), create a layout and try to export it in my computer, but I'm not quite sure how to do that, nor if it will work...

Reaction score
Hello, Clifford.

If you look at the very end of the first box you pasted, you will see what I think is my problem :
Note that MSKLC 1.4 is a 32-bit application. It will run on 64-bit systems, but in 32-bit mode.
Thats not a problem. There are thousands of applications running in 32bit mode. Until Office 2010 there was no 64-bit version of Office. And the default install for Office 2010 is the 32-bit version. If you want the 64-bit version installed you would have to manually navigate to the 64-bit install executable. This is just one example. There are still thousands of applications working in Windows 64-bit, that have not been reprogrammed for 64-bit execution.

Wish I could help further, but I'm strictly English and wouldn't have a need in changing the keyboard layout. In fact if my keyboard layout did change, it would probably totally mess with my head.

Reaction score
Well, I know this shouldn't be a problem, but it looks like it is, since the program is not working. When I open it, I ask for a new layout or existing layout to modify and nothing loads up...

Also, even if you're strickly English, you could want to change it for practical reasons, like assigning usefull symbols instead of the useless ones you have on your keyboard. As for me, I wish I could put the left shift button elswhere, because I'm starting to develop a tendinitis reaching for it.

Anyway, thank you very much for trying.

Anybody else have an idea ?

Reaction score
Well, I know this shouldn't be a problem, but it looks like it is, since the program is not working. When I open it, I ask for a new layout or existing layout to modify and nothing loads up...

Also, even if you're strickly English, you could want to change it for practical reasons, like assigning usefull symbols instead of the useless ones you have on your keyboard. As for me, I wish I could put the left shift button elswhere, because I'm starting to develop a tendinitis reaching for it.

Anyway, thank you very much for trying.

Anybody else have an idea ?
I have a problem with the MSKBLC: I can load it, get the standard Hungarian layout loaded, but the Keystroke Information Dialogs do not show up, so I can't assign special characters to the unused positions/keystroke combinations.
I tried to install and update .net framewors 2.0, but this did not help either.
Previously I used the MSKBLC under Win XP x86 without any problems to adapt a German keyboard to Hungarian, but had prodlems using the standars layouts, so bought a Hungarian keyboard and want to add a few special symbols.

Reaction score
I've used MSKLC successfully in the past on an XP machine and today I'm trying it for the first time in Win7 64-bit. I seem to be having the same problem as Étienne in that when I load a source file (one of my own or an existing layout, nothing is shown in the panel so I can't see what the keys are (see below). Anybody got any ideas?

upload_2016-2-23_17-17-47.png

Ask a Question