alternative to peerblock?

Reaction score
Are there any alternatives to peerblock? I can't get it to work, and am very interested in having the ability to have blocklist's running on my laptop when traveling (not behind my own router).

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Most firewalls will do what that software is claiming, if not a firewall and other software combination. You can even do it without a heavy handed firewall if you are more of an advanced user.

Have a look at the different firewalls. Article HERE. The problem being, it is going to cost you money.
But then again you will get support from that company.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Yeah I have commodo, but I am also looking to make use of a few different blocklist's from some reputable companies.

My routers can do it, but I would like to remain protected when traveling.

*This has nothing to do with filesharing, I don't do the whole p2p thing.*

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What errors do you get installing Peerblock? I have used it for years without issue. Are you running 32 or 64-bit W7?

Reaction score
I am running 64bit.

I just re-installed, an error popped up, shut down, restarted, ran peerblock, an error popped up, then peerblock closed itself.

Here are screen shots of the errors.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try disabling your anti-virus software and see if you still get the error. What A/V software do you use?

If that works then try re-enabling your A/V and add the Peerblock folder (if you can do folders) otherwise add Peerbock.exe to your anti-virus's exceptions.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bitdefender exclusions
Add Exclusions for the folder, the exe, and I doubt it is the current issue but in order to get updates make sure it is authorized through the firewall.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If that does fix it then you may also need to be running Peerblock with Administrator privileges.

Reaction score
DOH! I don't know why I didn't think of that. It seems to have fixed it, peerblock at least runs now. It still flashes an error when downloading/updating the lists. I'll try running it as an administrator.

Reaction score
No more errors, thank you verry much!

Edit: I take back no more errors.I get one on shutting down, however the program seems to be working.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just saw this thread and I use ipfilterX and it's absolutely great |!|,
read about it.

;-)

Ask a Question